lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Throttle cable, hook two together?

Has anyone done this...I don't want to mess up my pedal so I need to connect the pedal cable to the carb cable. This slide carb has a custom dual cable to run the pump. So I need to make a lever and get the travel right, the cart has a clevis end on it that is great but the other one is minibike plain end with a barrel is all. Or I have to make a custom clevis to go on it. I really don't want to chop the end off lol. I can't find any parts for that in brake cable kits and stuff.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Throttle cable, hook two together?

Remember me -- I'm the bicycle brake cable guy. I have a 33mm Keihin pumper knockoff. I bought a pack of assorted cable ends and an aluminum 2 into 1 cable split-er -- plus cable left overs from other ideas.
On the carburetor I used factory ends of the bicycle cable. I got some cable 90 degree bends to keep things low on the engine. I measured the cables and silver soldered the barrel ends to the cables.
In the split-er I used a factory cable end for the pull cable going up to the foot pedal. Made a loop for the pedal connection using miniature cable clamps.
In all I have 2 soldered ends and there in a safe setup if they were to pull off inside the split-er.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6460.JPG (231.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6461.JPG (230.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6464.JPG (237.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6471.JPG (233.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6473.JPG (229.8 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lol yes you do very nice work! I'll have to look at cable kits. I have some silver solder here someplace if I need it. Mine came with a splitter in it.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

If you need to hook 2 cables end to end I used this inside of a short piece of 1/2" water line. Made 2 aluminum housing seats that push into the plastic tube and the cable is hooked together inside -- my choke is spring loaded so it always is pulling to the off position keeping the cable pulled tight.

https://www.bmikarts.com/2-Piece-Thr...is_p_4878.html
Old 07-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Those little clevis is what I need the problem is the ball is already on the end of the cable, maybe I can modify one. I think I need to use a lever to change the ratio, I think the carb travels more than the pedal...to get full throttle. Let me see if I have a pic...there it is, new cable on right old pedal cable on left with a clevis on it. I need to hook the new one to the lever, assuming that lever will work its from my old stock carb setup. I can make a lever/arm. The other lever I made is laying next to it, that used to run the choke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200626_153834.jpg (297.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 05:30 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I found a picture of my cable splice - it has that little clevis is inside the plastic tube. This would work for a throttle cable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6561.JPG (236.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think I will order them from that place should fix me up, thanks a bunch Shepard!
Old 07-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lol, so I got some parts and made some parts and today got it clamped up and working, I was checking the travel trying to get that right. And naturally it pulls harder and so my old pedal cable snapped. Always something.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Field6565
Gone Wild

Geeeez Sho. I've never actually seen you ask for help.. And I thought you were only here to help and offer good advise!
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #10
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Lol usually. I didn't want to hack up the pedal assembly to fit a different cable. So have to make an adapter to connect them. I'm using the one in the photo made a bracket to hold the new cable. It was working until the cable broke at the pedal lol. The pedal only travels around half inch so I must use a lever, because the carb travels over an inch. I need to more than double the ratio to get full throttle. I found a clone throttle assembly for $10 with an arm in it that the cable end goes into, so I'll tack weld that on the arm in photo. Made a bracket to hold the new cable out of a conduit strap lol, it works. But now have to wait on new cable, have to get the ratio right before I finish it up. May have to mod the spring in carb it pulls pretty hard I don't like that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!