lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2020, 09:06 AM   #1
rjnchris
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Puzzling for Sure

Have a 2006 Club Car President that runs great but will intermittently not start. Cranks but no spark. Local Club Car Shop said it could be RPM Limiter so disconnected the ground. Didn’t help. Will always restart after a few minutes. Sometimes a few seconds to several minutes and may be fine for several holes. Replaced the micro switch with no change but a long shot. HELP.
rjnchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Puzzling for Sure

Sounds like the coil is bad. You run it a couple miles across the course and it heats up and quits working, No spark. Let it sit a little and then it works again.
Two tests.
1: Take a spare spark plug with you. When it quits running pull the plug wire off and stick the spare plug in, then lay it on the motor so it touches bare metal. Crank the motor over for about 10 seconds and see if you have spark or not. It should be Bright Blueish or white. If there's no spark, or it appears yellowish or dim then that's a sure sign the coil has failed.
2: there are a handful of black wires and a White wire with a black stripe that join near the rev limiter. The White/black stripe is the kill circuit wire for the coil. When it won't run disconnect the White/black stripe from the other black wire, and see if it will then run. If it does then there could be a problem in the kill circuit. There will be nothing to kill the spark so the motor may continue to run once you've started it. Just ground the Black wire end to any metal of the engine to kill it and the engine should shut off.

Kind of a pain to replace. I haven't done one on a Precedent, but it's in the same spot as every other FE series engine, behind the flywheel cover. The engine has to practically come out to get the cover off to get access to it. Or you get creative with a dremel and a cutoff wheel, but if you cut the cover you have to make sure it can be bolted back on so the airflow from the fan across the engine is not altered.

Only buy an original Kawasaki coil from Club Car. The cheap aftermarket ones fail quickly, and it's too difficult to get to that coil to want to replace it again.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
rjnchris
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply. I totally disconnected the wires on the Limiter and didn’t make any difference. Cranks strong, run great but never know when this restart issue will happen. As you suggested, this most likely is a faulty coil but a pain to replace. Dealer said it’s rare for the coil to fail but he didn’t clarify what is rare. I suspect I’m the rare one.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Rare means either that person is new, or they don't replace coils because they don't work on carts that are 15 years old. Dealers mostly get the newer carts that are still under warranty. These coils tend to last about 10 to 20 years, but eventually they all end up needing to be replaced. Be sure to buy the Genuine Kawasaki coil from the dealer or get one from Revolution Golf Cars to get original quality parts. A bit on the expensive side, but the cheapo aftermarket coils will fail again quickly and it's not the kind of job you want to do twice.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #5
rjnchris
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks! Gott’r scheduled with the dealership to replace the coil. Pretty much eliminated anything else. Yep! Fifteen years of use will show up somewhere.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:43 PM   #6
rjnchris
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well...took my Club Car to the dealer thinking the would replace the coil/igniter. After more than a week, they called to let me know it was done. They had bypassed the RPM Limiter and ran fine for 5-6 hours at the shop. New RPM Limiter and $250 Billing. Picked it up and headed out the next morning for 18. Ran it about half mile to the club house to checkin. Wouldn’t restart until it sat for 10 minutes. Been back in the shop for over a week and still no answers. I had disconnected the RPM Limiter before I took it in the first time and still had the problem so figured the coil/igniter is the culprit. Ready to pick it up and do it myself and fight for a refund of the $250. Anyone aware of anything else that would cause the loss of spark after it heats up?
Old 07-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The ignition coil is the only thing that does that.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:56 PM   #8
rjnchris
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yep! It was the coil as I has suggested at the start
Got it home after a week or more. Runs great but after a test run around the neighborhood, it would shift to forward. Evidentially the mechanic broke the shifter cable coupling at the transmission and reattached with 2 zip ties. Club Cars, Etc. here on Spokane Valley is an absolute joke. Another trip back to find out the brilliant explanation to this issue and another week without the cart. Will be over a month of hassles.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car