lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
sweethomeru
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default ParCar Pot Box

A few months ago I purchased what I believe to be a 2008 48V ParCar VIN P4E-CCSE-48A, P4SF4-4ZG0247.

Recently the motor would hesitate at random times especially while starting off. I describe it as what a 'stall/sputter' would feel like if it were a gas motor. In addition, for the first two months I owned the car, the top speed was 21mph. All of a sudden, when the motor quits hesitating it reaches 25mph.

I have researched and believe the problem could possibly be the 'pot box'. I'm a DIY person so I went to the local ParCar dealer and they wanted $600 just for the part! To their credit they told me how to troubleshoot whether it is the 'pot box' (ignition on, NEUTRAL, cycle the accelerator quickly about 20 times). That did clear the issue for a few minutes so I assume it is the 'pot box'.

I've searched but am not completely sure where the 'pot box' is located. Is it connected to the accelerator and located in the forward trunk area?

How difficult is it to replace? I'm handy but I've been frustrated even getting the lower front cowl off to get pictures of what I believe is the 'pot box'.

Is my ParCar a 2008?

Is the 'pot box' attached to the accelerator and in the forward area of the car?

Can I purchase a 'pot box' reasonably and can I install it easily?

Thank you very much in advance.
sweethomeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2020, 10:13 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: ParCar Pot Box

I would follow the throttle linkage. It's bound to lead you to the pot.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:41 PM   #3
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

I have a 2007.
Mine is located in the front. The throttle cable connects to it and it's in the lower right hand side, down by the steering box.

I can look and see if I still have mine. I switched it out when I converted the controller over to an Alltrax XCT48500.

If I do still have it, you pay shipping, and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
swb713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #4
sweethomeru
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thank you swb713!
Old 01-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #5
sweethomeru
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Here are pictures of what I believe could be the pot box but I'm not that confident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1815.jpg (133.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1816.jpg (213.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by sweethomeru; 01-23-2020 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: rotate pics
Old 01-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #6
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

That is IT !

I will try and look tonight and see if I still have it.
It is a Linier Actuator. This is what they used for their "Pot Box".

During my conversion to the Alltrax Controller, I changed mine out and put in a Curtis PB-6 Curits Style Throttle, 0-5K Ohms. This was the easiest way for me to do my conversion.
Alltrax does not make a 'Direct' replacement controller for the Columbia ParCar. Most likely because it is not one of "The Big Three" manufacturers of golf carts. I found someone here on BGW that has had to do this conversion as well, and got somewhat of a parts list from him. I did end up completely rewiring my cart to be like a Club Car IQ. That was an experience for me. I know just enough about electronics to get by and follow a wiring diagram, but I am still a Novice at this stuff. I got everything running correctly and then stripped it down to clean it up.
I have been a little stalled out on the project due to lack of free time. And my dumb-self decided to start sanding an polishing the rear differential. As it is just cast aluminium, I thought "Hmm ... I wonder if I could polish that up and make it all nice and shiny?". It's getting there. Slowly, but surely.

Also getting parts together to do a Lithium 14S2P Nissan Leaf pack.

Should be a fun little ride when I am done.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
sweethomeru
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Thanks so much. I was able to get the lower cowl off today and got a much better picture of the pot box including the part numbers. I'll search to see if I can find one too.

Your electrical expertise is a lot more than I'll ever challenge. A Nissan Leaf project? I'd say you have some 'skills'.

I just purchased a 2020 Chevy Bolt. My first true EV after owning 2 Volts.

IMHO, the gas carts around here and loud and smelly LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1824.jpg (110.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethomeru View Post
Your electrical expertise is a lot more than I'll ever challenge. A Nissan Leaf project? I'd say you have some 'skills'.
I will mostly be able to accomplish this Thanks to all the HELP and Support from other GREAT members here on BGW. Without THEIR knowledge and Know-how, I wouldn't even contemplate anything like the Leaf setup.

BGW has a wealth of knowledge through it's members.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
sweethomeru
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I was able to find a new POT BOX just 60 miles away at a reasonable price. Looking forward to installing it tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #10
swb713
Gone Wild

Columbia

Good luck.
I hope that fixes your problem.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar