lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-17-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium conversion for club car - ?s

Have a 48 v club car that I am pretty sure I want to switch to lithium. Trying to improve range and it looks like this would be the best option.

Been doing a ton of reading here and trying to understand the different options and setup s

CAn anyone clarify some of the options ? Should I stick with 48v pack? I have seen some higher voltage combos and wondering if that worth looking into or just stick with the 48v

Looked on eBay and saw a bunch of different options

I saw one option that was from a Chevy volt and would be 2 48v packs wires in parallel @ 94ah- included charger but no bms so would have to add that

Or would a leaf pack be a better option ? Would a 48v leaf pack at 66ah be sufficient or do I want a higher rating ?
jeffro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
Jkerle
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium conversion for club car - ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
Have a 48 v club car that I am pretty sure I want to switch to lithium. Trying to improve range and it looks like this would be the best option.

Been doing a ton of reading here and trying to understand the different options and setup s

CAn anyone clarify some of the options ? Should I stick with 48v pack? I have seen some higher voltage combos and wondering if that worth looking into or just stick with the 48v

Looked on eBay and saw a bunch of different options

I saw one option that was from a Chevy volt and would be 2 48v packs wires in parallel @ 94ah- included charger but no bms so would have to add that

Or would a leaf pack be a better option ? Would a 48v leaf pack at 66ah be sufficient or do I want a higher rating ?
Go to 58v with the leaf modules a ton of us have done it successfully with a few good write ups on here. The extra voltage will help with amp draw further improving your range. If you want range I would do a 14s2p pack it will be 14 of the leaf modules. 110ah derated for age.

I calculated 70miles to a charge on my setup. I actually drove it 45miles and was just below 50% on soc meter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Jkerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

When I did my lithium switch, I installed a 7 module pack of Leaf batteries. That's about 60AH. This is sufficient for my needs.....but like anything else, I wish I would have gone with a 14 module pack and 120AH.

A few guys here have installed the Chevy Volt batteries and are very happy with them.

A BMS is not a requirement......but it's a really good idea.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that you're quoting AH capacities that are for brand new cells. Were using recycled cells, if your not careful it could possible to get better range from a low mileage "96AH" Volt battery than a high mileage "120AH" 58.4v Leaf pack. So be careful and get cells that come from a low mileage vehicle if at all possible.

In my opinion operating a lithium battery without HV, LV protection is a gamble. The BMS is a simple way to get those protections. I consider the BMS optional only if you dont mind risking your investment in your lithium battery pack and cart...

MCJEFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:42 AM   #5
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

thanks for the help.

I would definitely add a BMS. I see some setups that say they have BMS output wiring in place. Is this helpful in my application

any thoughts on links below?

I saw this-what is still needed to make this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-RV-Po...53.m1438.l2649

or this (60v)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Chevy-...53.m1438.l2649

looks like this would almost be a drop in, except I would need to add 2 BMS ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-4kwh-94...53.m1438.l2649
Old 09-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
thanks for the help.

I would definitely add a BMS. I see some setups that say they have BMS output wiring in place. Is this helpful in my application

any thoughts on links below?

I saw this-what is still needed to make this work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solar-RV-Po...53.m1438.l2649

or this (60v)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Chevy-...53.m1438.l2649

looks like this would almost be a drop in, except I would need to add 2 BMS ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/48v-4kwh-94...53.m1438.l2649
Of those three I would shy away from the Gen1 or G1 modules. Gen1 modules had were manufactured in 2011-2012 (older, some know issues)0, Gen2 were manufactured from 2013-2015 (#1 choice) and Gen3 modules are 2016-present (difficult to configure). Ideally you want to find Gen2 modules from a newer low mile car.

The 65v Volt battery looks like the best low mileage batteries but I'm pretty sure that it is not a useable voltage with your controller.

The 48v double pack is a 2015 with 28k... Of those three that is the option or look for good Gen2 Leaf modules.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:23 PM   #7
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you for taking the time to look at those. Trying to sort through everything still

Came across this- g2 price seems decent

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113640836954

R should I spend extra $ and go with This one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123486112701
Old 09-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #8
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

What are your goals and budget? Are you looking to just swap from FLA to lithium and keep the cart otherwise stock? What other upgrades are you planning, controller, cables, solenoid, wheels/tires (size?) What range and speed are you looking to get and is it hilly or flat?

These all come into play in deciding on what is right for you. You might be satisfied with a 7 module Leaf pack if your just running around your property. I'm actually toying with the idea of building a 21 module Leaf pack if I can get it to fit...

Old 09-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #9
jeffro22
Gone Wild
Club Car

Have upgraded cables now. Have a 500 all trax controller ready to install and heavy duty solenoid.

It is a stretch cart (6 passenger)

Really main goal is added range. I have a newer 48 v lead/wet pack and have barely made it back to house after maybe A 8-10 mile round trip.

Flat terrain. Don’t need anything super fast but a slight increase would be ok but not main goa
Prefer to stay around or under $1000 if possible
Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
MCJEFE
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Have upgraded cables now. Have a 500 all trax controller ready to install and heavy duty solenoid.

It is a stretch cart (6 passenger)

Really main goal is added range. I have a newer 48 v lead/wet pack and have barely made it back to house after maybe A 8-10 mile round trip.

Flat terrain. Don’t need anything super fast but a slight increase would be ok but not main goa
Prefer to stay around or under $1000 if possible
I would recommend a 14 module Leaf pack if you can swing the cost. With 2 passengers will probably get you 35-45 miles, on 20" tires, driving around 22mph, depending on the health of the batteries. A 7 module pack should give you around 1/2 that range. Start adding gear, people or larger tires the range goes down.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/lithi...onversion.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/all-t...hium-pack.html

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium