lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #51
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: i40L ICON Electric Street Legal Golf Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
I've attempted to contact them twice in the last week. Once via their Contact Us page on the web site and another via a direct email to sales@iconev.com. No response whatsoever. Not giving me confidence. I wish they had a Locate Dealer selection on the web site. I don't know if their is someone close to me that sells these things or not.
Sorry to hear about your communication challenges....not to let them off the
hook...but the folks at ICON are probably quite busy assembling carts for the
markets...

They may not have a large enough staff to adequately handle the many inquiries either by phone or email...

Yet as for me twice I have called left my phone # and both times way later in
the day.. lo and behold they called me back...

Your best friend regarding dealer locating is a google search. A search
for a dealer will get you results and contacting them will reward you with a
plethora of information offers.

here you go..

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...4dUDCAk&uact=5

Have fun scrolling

Best wishes
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 03:28 PM   #52
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu1tm View Post
I've attempted to contact them twice in the last week. Once via their Contact Us page on the web site and another via a direct email to sales@iconev.com. No response whatsoever. Not giving me confidence. I wish they had a Locate Dealer selection on the web site. I don't know if their is someone close to me that sells these things or not.
I had the same initial trouble contacting them to buy my two Icon's. Imagine just calling Honda's general phone line...that's kind of what you're getting. They'll get that factory-customer service improved in time.

Icon's growth has been explosive, so they're having some growing pains and they rely on their dealer network to pick up the slack. They (within months) just opened the Goodyear, AZ facility + with Covid, they're a bit swamped.

In that recent article with the owner, they went from 18 carts/month to 400+/month. I think these are going to end up being a major competitor in the market.

These carts are both sophisticated, but very straightforward and simple in their engineering design...I'm feeling more comfortable with my purchases the more I learn on mine. I wouldn't shy away.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #53
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
Yes, the nice digital screen (which I really like) concerns me a lot. That's the kind of thing that could be a royale pain to have fixed if parts become an issue to get.

As for an earlier comment about them being around a while because you get as much or more golf cart than others... that really doesn't mean much. There are a couple of brands that I can think of that are now in the tanker which looked great as for specs and price, but when came time to fixing issues, dealers had enough of them and stopped carrying them. I think it really comes down to the availibility of parts - if that doesn't become a problem, they will likely be fine (as long as reliability stays on par with the other big 3).

This also hits home because I took a chance on an electric push golf cart a few years ago. I loved it for a while, but because it was based out of Canada, getting support was and continues to be very spotty. While I still use the cart (with a broken accelerator button that I can't seem to get fixed), I wouldn't buy it again if I could do it all over.
Regarding the digital screen, it turns out it's just a bunch of sensor wires connected to the back of it and you could just buy any off-the-shelf screen and replace it. The main feed being RPM's, which you'd have to "tune" the screen to tell it 5000 RPM's = 25mph...and by tune, I just mean they usually have a little programming cable you configure it with.

Many of the parts I'm realizing are somewhat off the shelf in the golf-cart world. The custom molded plastic and stuff like that you might have trouble with, but it uses pretty standard automotive stuff throughout.

I think I could replace the brakes, steering wheel, tires, suspension with off the shelf stuff.

If Icon just disappeared for some reason and the motor were to burn out, you could get an AC induction motor and reprogram the controller and it would work.

If the controller were to burn out, you could just swap in an Alltrax controller and program it to the motor.

If the LED lights went out...you could replace them, but would they fit in the nice molding? I'm not sure. You may be able to find those lights somewhere online though.

What other things are you concerned about?

Now will you be able to go on Amazon and order "Icon replacement roof"? No. But will the EZGO fit it? Yes.

Can you order custom accessories yet? No, they are new enough in the market that 3rd parties haven't started making those, but they'll come. I see this company growing fast, in my opinion.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #54
Theorangeman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I've decided to pass on the Icon, at least this time around. Maybe in a dozen or so years I might give them a chance. Too much to risk in my book at this point. It's way too early to know if these carts are very reliable and if parts are going to be a challenge - again, according to an owner at a local golf cart shop, they decided to stop selling these because getting parts was a hassle. This was all before he even knew I was considering them.

At any rate, just not worth it to me versus spending a little more to get much more piece of mind. For those current Icon owners, I mean no offense. I hope you continue enjoying your carts! They're definitely very tempting!
Theorangeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:34 AM   #55
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theorangeman View Post
I've decided to pass on the Icon, at least this time around. Maybe in a dozen or so years I might give them a chance. Too much to risk in my book at this point. It's way too early to know if these carts are very reliable and if parts are going to be a challenge - again, according to an owner at a local golf cart shop, they decided to stop selling these because getting parts was a hassle. This was all before he even knew I was considering them.

At any rate, just not worth it to me versus spending a little more to get much more piece of mind. For those current Icon owners, I mean no offense. I hope you continue enjoying your carts! They're definitely very tempting!
It is good to follow gut instinct...for peace of mind down the road..
your point well taken and by no means any offence taken..it's all good!!!

However that a dealer says he stopped selling ICONs for the
difficulty in acquiring parts seems to me like a bait and switch..
in order to get you into something they have...

In the various random trips to my dealer I have yet to see an ICON in
for repairs...and in my fuddy duddy hood (these fuddy duddys are very fastidious about quality and service) we now have 6 new ICONS in the hood.

Now it seems having read here or and on Talk of the Villages forums regarding
dealers that stopped selling Star carts because parts were a real pain
to obtain from Star. As well that they spent more time repairing Star carts under warranty and were loosing a lot of money fixing Star carts;
so they quit selling Star.

So was it Star or Icon..? If indeed they ever sold ICON.

From having owned a Star Sirius (Star's latest and greatest) for a year,
the Sirius turned out to be one unreliable problem cart...numerous returns to
dealer for warranty repairs...only to have to back for repair of the same..
and parts took almost 2 months to get from Star...
That is what happened to me ...

Thank God I got out the Sirius.

But as you well stated proof is in the pudding of time...

May your next cart be a real dream cart for you with everything working well
always..
Old 07-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #56
zeesmurf
Not Yet Wild

OK, wish me luck. Just sold my 2011 Yamaha that I am very happy with and put a deposit on a 2020 ICON i40L with Bayside Carts in Tampa, Florida. Many of the folks in my neighborhood are switching to ICON and now that they have been around about 4 years, it seems everyone that actually owns one is pretty happy with them with no big warranty issues to speak of.

Also looking at having them install a BOSS marine grade bluetooth speaker system and Bluetooth LED lighting, anyone have any experience with these items.

I will keep everyone updated and if anyone has any feedback, please share.
zeesmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #57
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeesmurf View Post
OK, wish me luck. Just sold my 2011 Yamaha that I am very happy with and put a deposit on a 2020 ICON i40L with Bayside Carts in Tampa, Florida. Many of the folks in my neighborhood are switching to ICON and now that they have been around about 4 years, it seems everyone that actually owns one is pretty happy with them with no big warranty issues to speak of.

Also looking at having them install a BOSS marine grade bluetooth speaker system and Bluetooth LED lighting, anyone have any experience with these items.

I will keep everyone updated and if anyone has any feedback, please share.
Regarding the audio, one thing to check for that I'm dealing with on my ICON, which is 100% my fault, is electromagnetic interference (EMI).

All I mean by that is, when I turn my cart on and have no music playing. I heard nothing and it sits quietly as you would expect.

Once I press the accelerator (F or R) I hear a high pitched noise from my speakers. And it's honestly not that bad/loud. It just bugs me a little.

It's my fault because I put the amp and speakers close to the motor, and I need to isolate the wire causing it.

I think I can just put these ferrite rings on the wire and solve it once I feel like messing with it. When the music is playing, the noise goes away and I always have the music on...so eeh.

If they install your audio, just make sure you don't hear annoying high pitched noises when music isn't playing.

Congrats! Excited to have more ICON members.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #58
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATrain View Post
Regarding the audio, one thing to check for that I'm dealing with on my ICON, which is 100% my fault, is electromagnetic interference (EMI).

All I mean by that is, when I turn my cart on and have no music playing. I heard nothing and it sits quietly as you would expect.

Once I press the accelerator (F or R) I hear a high pitched noise from my speakers. And it's honestly not that bad/loud. It just bugs me a little.

It's my fault because I put the amp and speakers close to the motor, and I need to isolate the wire causing it.

I think I can just put these ferrite rings on the wire and solve it once I feel like messing with it. When the music is playing, the noise goes away and I always have the music on...so eeh.

If they install your audio, just make sure you don't hear annoying high pitched noises when music isn't playing.

Congrats! Excited to have more ICON members.
Hey Atrain

Did you you ever solve your noise issue ? If so how?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #59
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Hey Atrain

Did you you ever solve your noise issue ? If so how?
So the issue is the DC-to-DC (48v to 12v) causing the problem and noise in the red (+) wire. If you google "emi in DC to DC" or some variant of that, you'll find that it's a common issue.

I semi-solved it. I bought some "ferrite" rings to clip on the wires, and that did pretty much nothing that I could tell.

Then I bought one of these CB noise filter things, and it actually solved the issue with bluetooth. I just hook it in-line on the red (+) from the DC-to-DC then I grounded it to the chassis. I could have grounded to the (-) but I didn't want to cut/re-join my wire and I had convinced myself it was a waste of time...but then it worked .

When I switch my stereo to the AUX input, it's still a problem, although not when music is playing (I think).

You'll notice that is a 10amp device and I didn't bother figuring out if that's a problem or not, but once I get some free time, I also bought this 30-amp filter that might work better than the other?

Since I use the bluetooth 95% of the time, it's basically "solved" for my use, but I'd like to get it working for that extra 5%...just because I'm ocd sometimes.
Old 12-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #60
Ajgoldsmith
Not Yet Wild

Deleted
Ajgoldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon