lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #1
Roy Beaty
Not Yet Wild

Default What is this part? Do i need it?

I just picked up my first cart. The guy told me it is a 2001 with "upgraded" controller. He had cut some wiring.
I am new to golf cart repair but am not new to mechanical and electronic repair.
Best I can tell is I have a 2001 DS (SN. AC0133) with sepex motor.
What is the part mounted in the frame below the OBC? is it part of a motor brake system ("plug brake")? I cannot find it on any wiring diagrams.
It also looks like the OBC has a hot spot on it. I do not have batteries or a charger yet so i have not been able to test much.
Also see that the speed sensor plug has been cut off the cart wiring harness. Can anyone tell me a part number so i can find a replacement connector?
Thanks for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5777.jpg (223.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5786.jpg (220.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5792.jpg (214.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg what is this part.jpg (213.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Roy Beaty; 08-09-2020 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: new pic
Roy Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2020, 05:31 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: What is this part? Do i need it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Beaty View Post
I just picked up my first cart. .... What is the part mounted in the frame below the OBC? is it part of a motor brake system ("plug brake")? I cannot find it on any wiring diagrams.
It also looks like the OBC has a hot spot on it. I do not have batteries or a charger yet so i have not been able to test much.
Also see that the speed sensor plug has been cut off the cart wiring harness. Can anyone tell me a part number so i can find a replacement connector?
Thanks for any help.
We just got our first cart, too.
That module is a 16v to 12v voltage reducer, which I replaced with a 48v to 12v voltage reducer.
I removed the OBC and ditched the heavy OEM charger, been using a 7.5 lb Modz Max48 smart charger for a couple of months now, works great.
When you get batteries get a 2 ga cable set, especially if you plan on upgrading the controller, I just installed an Alltrax XCT48400, very nice improvement in speed and hill climbing.
Fill in the hole if you remove the OBC (it's easier to do with the body off) and an Alltrax fit right in there.
You could replace the speed sensor connector with an aftermarket 3 pin connector set, you would just have to move the motor side connector to a new speed sensor when replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alltrax solenoid.jpg (127.0 KB, 0 views)
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's a factory voltage reducer. It's not really necessary and unless you only use it once in a blue moon, it's not good for the batteries.

Not sure why they cut the speed sensor connector off, but those are a 3 pin Deutsch connector, you can usually order the pair (M and F sides) with new pins for under $10 online.

Could also try asking in the classifieds here if anyone has a used one.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:22 PM   #4
Wakko47
Gone Loco

Club Car

Wht are your plans with the cart? 48v?
Wakko47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
Roy Beaty
Not Yet Wild

yes it is 48V. I plan to use it to check the mail. my mailbox is about 1/4 mile from house and am tired of walking.
I just discovered a destroyed bearing on motor and magnet is shattered. not sure if hall sensor is damaged. i will power it and test tomorrow. might be difficult to remove old bearing race.
Batteries will be here Wednesday. I need new bushings all around. and a new dash panel.
If OBC is damaged and speed sensor is damaged, i may be back for more advice.
not sure why i'd need a 12v module unless it is for headlights
Roy Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 AM   #6
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Any non-48V accessories are usually 12V such as lights, USB ports etc. If you are not going to use any of those you can just ditch it. If you are going to install lights at any time you have two choices. Fit a proper 48V to 12V reducer (if you do I suggest a 5-wire reducer that switches on or off with the key) or you can simply hook up some lights using LEDs that can handle 48V.

If you are just going to be running around on your own property and don't need to be street legal, you can easily hook up a light bar from ebay or Amazon that can run on 48V then you don't need a reducer at all.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car