lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-24-2011, 09:28 AM   #21
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2008 CC Precedent

Colbyntx,... What happended to your Trojans is what caused the big blow up between Club Car and Trojan mfg. Since we all know what the quality of Trojan batteries has been for years I would put my money on them and they kept saying that the problem with their batteries dying in 2+ years was the OBC charger in the Club Car. There are still suits going on because of all of the warranty problems. I can't believe that this web site hasn't been following this for a long time. How many years has Club Car been putting 12 volt batteries in their new carts. Now they have stopped and gone back to the 8 volt system. They obviously had to change out the Controller also and you would think someone would post something on this web site.
trigger1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-24-2011, 09:35 AM   #22
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger1937 View Post
Colbyntx,... What happended to your Trojans is what caused the big blow up between Club Car and Trojan mfg. Since we all know what the quality of Trojan batteries has been for years I would put my money on them and they kept saying that the problem with their batteries dying in 2+ years was the OBC charger in the Club Car. There are still suits going on because of all of the warranty problems. I can't believe that this web site hasn't been following this for a long time. How many years has Club Car been putting 12 volt batteries in their new carts. Now they have stopped and gone back to the 8 volt system. They obviously had to change out the Controller also and you would think someone would post something on this web site.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive CC used the 12v setup from 2004 thru 2009 and switched back to the 8v setup in 2010. I think in the later years you had an option for either 12v or 8v but not anymore.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #23
trigger1937
Gone Wild

Colbyntx,...I will check the next time I'm on the golf course and see my friend. He has the 2009 model with 8 volt batts and I'll see how they are mounted. My big concern is going to be with the OBC Charger. Yes it is still 48 volts but there has to be some optimation in the OBC for the 12 volt configuration. However, the bad history already tells up that the OBC wasn't working were well with the Trojan +12 volt batteries. I am so far happy that I have a Car Charger for +12 volt and can charge them the way I want every now and then.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #24
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
There is no need for a controller change or OBC if they are working OK. You don't have to either. Just put in the 8's and you are ready to go. Be sure when you get your new batteries, charge them a FULL charge before you drive it. I like to put in new batteries late in the evening so i'm not to tempeted. Just be sure to get an extra battery hold down and new cables for the extra batteries. I would buy a complete set of cables for a precedent 6-8V system and I would get 4ga even if you don't plan on upgrades. You don't have to go with 4ga but that's what I would do.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #25
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by erict View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive CC used the 12v setup from 2004 thru 2009 and switched back to the 8v setup in 2010. I think in the later years you had an option for either 12v or 8v but not anymore.
Close...

Precedent 2004 - 2008.5 (Both Setups) 2010 (All 8s)
DS 2006 - 2009 (12s unless Special ordered w 8s) 2010 (all 8s)
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:42 PM   #26
trigger1937
Gone Wild

TahoeDawg,,... I have searched but can't find the comment,..but I thought you said on some post the if anyone switched from 12 volt batteries to the 8 volt units that this would require a change in the controller card. Colbyntx's comment,

Quote:
There is no need for a controller change or OBC if they are working OK. You don't have to either. Just put in the 8's and you are ready to go. Be sure when you get your new batteries, charge them a FULL charge before you drive it. I like to put in new batteries late in the evening so i'm not to tempeted. Just be sure to get an extra battery hold down and new cables for the extra batteries. I would buy a complete set of cables for a precedent 6-8V system and I would get 4ga even if you don't plan on upgrades. You don't have to go with 4ga but that's what I would do.
indicates this is not required. Can you clear this up. Thanks
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #27
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
TahoeDawg,,... I have searched but can't find the comment,..but I thought you said on some post the if anyone switched from 12 volt batteries to the 8 volt units that this would require a change in the controller card. Colbyntx's comment,

indicates this is not required. Can you clear this up. Thanks
It's not "Necessary" but it's definitely recommended. You will sacrifice a substantial amount of run-time by converting to 8 Volt batteries without changing the OBC to a newer model that is actually programmed with the software to charge 8 Volt batteries fully and properly. Club Car tech reps have claimed that it's somewhere around 20-25% capacity that you'll miss out on by having the wrong OBC.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #28
trigger1937
Gone Wild

TahoeDawg,....OK,..I get it now. I will see just how long my 2010 Trojan 12volts will last and then make the decision. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:37 AM   #29
ZackMan
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It's not "Necessary" but it's definitely recommended. You will sacrifice a substantial amount of run-time by converting to 8 Volt batteries without changing the OBC to a newer model that is actually programmed with the software to charge 8 Volt batteries fully and properly. Club Car tech reps have claimed that it's somewhere around 20-25% capacity that you'll miss out on by having the wrong OBC.
How do you actually remove the silver panel behind the batteries to gain access to the OBC? There are two torx screws at top, are these the only fasteners? What is the black square-looking piece , on the silver panel, that the negative battery cable is leading to? Thanks.

ZackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM   #30
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackMan View Post
How do you actually remove the silver panel behind the batteries to gain access to the OBC? There are two torx screws at top, are these the only fasteners? What is the black square-looking piece , on the silver panel, that the negative battery cable is leading to? Thanks.

There's only 1 Torx screw holding it on...... What black square looking piece? The only thing the main negative runs through is the OBC. Can you take a picture of what you're talking about?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car