lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default yamaha controller- what is it?

First of all, wht model is this 48 volt cart? A guy brought it to me today, and said he was driving and it just cut out on him.

Batteries are 51 volts. Got 51 volts to key switch, and to 1 big terminal and 1 small terminal on solenoid.

I get no negative on small terminal. If i run a jumper from pack negative to solenoid, i can get it to click but wont run.

I think the controller makes the negative on a yamaha, so that makes me think the controller is bad. I have never seen a controller like this.

Any help? WTF is this thing, and what is wrong with it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-26 14.31.05.jpg (121.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-26 14.31.15.jpg (124.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-01-26 14.31.48.jpg (127.7 KB, 0 views)
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: yamaha controller- what is it?

I can tell by the plug, its a G22, 2005-2007 model year. The controller is a Moric (& generally a pos). Its likely bad if it wont activate the contactor (which you have figured out). Another test, flip the Tow/run to tow for 15 seconds, flip back to run, does the contactor switch on for about 4 seconds then back off? Also, does the reverse beeper operate?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
nickybobby16
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Based on the serial number of the cart, It should be a 2003 G22 cart. As far as the controller, I am not real sure if that is the problem or not. If you determine it to be the issue, Look into getting an aftermarket controller by Alltrax. The newer ones are programmable and you can set user parameters for different drivers. You will also get a lot better performance out of the cart. I would recommend contacting Don at Plowman's Carts once you determine the root cause. He is very knowledgeable on all things Yamaha. Plowman's is linked in the Site Sponsor section of this forum. Hope this information gets you pointed in the right direction.
nickybobby16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

CG, no the reverse buzzer no longer operates.

Yesterday when i was testing stuff on that cart, i did have the tow switch off for awhile, and had the positive cable unhooked while i removed the old solenoid and installed a new temporary one for testing, and never got any clicks.

If i run a wire from pack negative, and tap the other end on the solenoid negative terminal, it will click with each touch of the jumper.
Does this tell you anything.?

I sent a picture to FSIP of the controller, and they said its not rebuildable, but they make a new GE replacement.

I want to make sure its the controller before i tell the guy and install a new one, and then it doesn't work.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:37 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Does this tell you anything?

Yep, tells me that the controller is not activating the solenoid (Motor Controller controls solenoid small wire B-), but it clicks if you hotwire it. Also tells me that the Tow/Run switch is working (tow/run controls solenoid small wire B+)

No solenoid click & No reverse buzzer is almost always Bad controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #6
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks cg, you are such an awesome part of this forum
Old 01-27-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

I have had same issue!!!! IF you have same issue, it is very cheap and quick fix! From the back looking through the inspection cover, towards right side on cross bar, in wiring harness you will find a fuse holder. CHECK THAT FUSE....if stock, it will a 3.5 amp...change to a 5 amp fuse.....

BUT search for this fuse holder.....there is always one on these Yammi's somewhere....good probabililty it is the fuse!!!
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 AM   #8
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Doug i will look today. The other day i looked around and the only fuse i found was a 10 amp blade fuse, sticking out of the wire harness, in front of the controller, and that fuse was good.
I will look around again this morning and see if i can get lucky.

Thanks for the tip. I will report back.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #9
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

couldn't find any fuse as you suggested. The only thing i did find, was in front of the passenger side batteries there is some sort of gray plastic piece that has about 5 or 6 wires coming in the bottom of it, and it connects onto a second grey plastic piece, that doesn't have any wires coming out or that go anywhere. There are some little white plastic round things that appear to be something to plug the holes in this second piece.

I couldn't pull it apart very easy so i stopped. I thought maybe this might be some sort of connector that you plug something into?
Old 01-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #10
Doug73
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
Doug i will look today. The other day i looked around and the only fuse i found was a 10 amp blade fuse, sticking out of the wire harness, in front of the controller, and that fuse was good.
I will look around again this morning and see if i can get lucky.

Thanks for the tip. I will report back.
That is probably it.....I would replace it with a 5 amp though. I have seen fuse look good but the connector bad, maybe see if you have power through it...

Can you post photos of other items in you next post you mention the wires...
Doug73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha