lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Painting the canopy

Hey guys. Yesterday I decided to paint my canopy and I am having trouble with it sticking.
I have a yamaha, and it has a slight texture to the canopy. I took some sandpaper and sanded the whole thing to "rough" it up a bit, I then cleaned it all really good then I used duplicolor adhesion promoter. Sprayed it 3 times and it said to paint it within 10 minutes. I did just that. I used Krylon paint too. I put 2 coats on it last night, and went out this morning to put one last coat on and you can take your nail and scratch the paint right off.

What did I do wrong? What do I do to correct the problem? How do I get it all stripped back off to start over?
rb8484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Painting the canopy

How cold was it there yesterday?
monkey-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-1 View Post
How cold was it there yesterday?
In my garage, it was about 70 degrees.

I was able to get all the paint stripped back off, so now I can give it a go again. Not sure what happened the first time! Should I try priming it this time? The adhesion promoter said it worked as a primer. It was duplicolor brand. What should I use to wipe it down with before I spray the promoter? Will lacquer thinner work?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ohh, and the heat was on for 3 days prior with the cart inside, so all surface temps where warm as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

Yes, I would scuff it (you already did), then wipe it down really good with a cleaner (lacquer thinner will work) and then let it dry completely. Then shoot your adhesion promoter and let it dry completely, maybe even overnight. Then, reshoot the paint.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey-1 View Post
Yes, I would scuff it (you already did), then wipe it down really good with a cleaner (lacquer thinner will work) and then let it dry completely. Then shoot your adhesion promoter and let it dry completely, maybe even overnight. Then, reshoot the paint.
On the can it says to apply paint within 10 minutes of the last coat of promoter. I thought if the promoter dried too much that you had to reapply it??
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
monkey-1
Monkeylicious

E-Z-GO

I did't use the same brand you did, so I am unfamiliar. I used some adhesion promoter as well, but simply ran out of time the evening I was painting and HAD to wait until the next day to paint.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #8
rb8484
Getting Wild

Club Car

Well, i prepped the canopy again, except I only did the adheasion promoter on a small area and sprayed a little paint over it. Ill wait til tomorrow and see if it too this time. I will report back tomorrow!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
jay_in_cgohio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are using duplicor adhesion promoter and then krylon paint? Possible the two different brands may not play nice together and that could be causing you problems.
jay_in_cgohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
macrain13
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Not sure what look your going for, but I did all the same steps you did when prepping my roof. But I used the spray can bedliner stuff. Several coats with plenty of time in between each coat. I could tell it wasn't permanently adhered to the roof but I went with it anyway. After the first few times of riding through the woods I had a few white scratch marks visible. Then I just sprayed a coat to hide the scratches. Basically to just cover it up until I came up with a better idea.
Well after 5-6 times of covering scratches over a month or two it finally started setting in. I don't know if maybe the sun baked the paint on better or if I had just added enough coats that it had to stick, but now it appears to be sticking pretty well. I still get a random deep scratch that cuts down to the white, but it's only when I get into some bigger, more rigid tree limbs hanging over trails at the hunting club. But I just shoot the scratch with the same can spray bedliner stuff and it covers it up.
macrain13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint