lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
LURCH
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Got the G1 with ATV suspension done!

I'm getting ready to do this to mine if you could get me some up close and personal pic's as many as possible and as detailed. I'm not in a hurry and my e-mail is lurchhd@embarqmail.com if you don't want to post all of them on here. Thanks in advance if you can help me out.

LURCH!!!!!!
LURCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

There are a lot of threads here and in big block section showing builds with custom suspensions.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

I just went thru this,.. its a science and i can explain it with a long math formula. But think of it as a cheater bar on a wrench the longer the bar the more leverage you gonna have. say if you have a coil over rated for 400lbs and you place it further away from the pivot point it may hold 600lbs. but if you move it closer to the pivot it will only hold 300lbs.

when i first put my 400trx front under my buggy when i let if off the jacks it bottomed out the stock shocks. So i changed them out to a Rinho front shocks(same holes), which worked but when loaded down they would struggle to rebound. So i moved the mounting postion out closer to the wheels. Now they ride smooth as glass up front. But still have the same problem in the rear. I've moved the mounting position, but still rough. I just run about 10lbs of air in rear tires and that helps the most. I'll get it figure out one day.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If the shocks are mounted at any angle (top tipped in) you will
experience falling rate as the suspension is compressed. It can
be very aggravating working it out, a lot of trial and error.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
If the shocks are mounted at any angle (top tipped in) you will
experience falling rate as the suspension is compressed. It can
be very aggravating working it out, a lot of trial and error.
you can tell by the multi-hole locations, it's a science to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (304.7 KB, 13 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The problem I see is when people get in a car they are small percent of the weight. With a cart there is little weight in the front, and little in the back because a portion of the drivetrain is live on the axle. So when people and other weight get on the cart it is a huge percentage of the static vehicle suspended weight. And right a lot of shocks the dampening is way off, I tried a set of shocks on the rear of a G9 they rode nice jacked it up some....but when you hit chatter bumps it bottomed out the shock would not let it rebound at all. So I would have to put it closer to the pivot to lessen the dampening, then it would be too weak I'd have to add more spring somehow. I think they were booster shocks for a car, the guy said they were for ATV/UTV he had a lot of them. I could jump on the rear bumper and compress it, and it would come back up slowly.

When I stiffened my rear stock shocks I leaned the top out, left the bottom the same.

So when is someone going to make halfshafts lol.

Using other shocks from ATV/etc is trial and error, I'm sure something that works is out there but where.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #17
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There's got to be a solution here. I was dreaming about it last night trying to figure it out...ha ha. But the swing arm suspension works well on atv's. Yeah I know it's a different setup with the engine and axle on the swing arm, but there has to be a way to get more travel with this setup. I guess if I use softer springs it may not rebound like you all have suggested. I thought of leaning the shocks toward the front, but if I lean the top of the shock forward, the drivers side shock will hit the driven clutch. I don't see a way to relocate the shocks in a position closer to the front. What about air bags? Fox air ride shocks? Air shocks?

It seems to me that the geometry of this setup that there may be some binding on the shocks. As the swingarm travels up, the axle moves in a slight arc. The shocks are straight and mounted perpendicular to the axle/ground. If the axle is trying to "swing" in an arc, wouldn't the shocks want to move with the arc? If the shocks are straight they will want to resist that movement? I don't know. Just doesn't seem to be right.

I can't really find any other vehicles that use this type of suspension. Seems to be a golf cart specific design. I can find four links, 3 links, trailing arms, but nothing setup like this.

Frustrating when the front rides so good and the rear sucks.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Part of the reason is because it does not articulate. When the right tire hits a bump it has to compress the left shock too. This makes the cart a lot more stable, but offroad it pitches the cart side to side on uneven ground. After the G9 yamaha went to a 3 point design that articulates, but I like mine better on the trails I run they have a lot of corners.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good point, I guess you have to pick your battles....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I run logging trails and I can rail corners pretty good, but yes it rides harder on bumpy ground. You can chop the mounts off and make it a 3 link that articulates, some of the 3 links don't articulate that easily. The 3 point on carts factory is just a pivot at the front center of the engine cradle and the leafs are the other two or a track bar/Panhard and the shocks. These carts can lean in corners but do ride nicer going straight.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts