lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #51
mustangwagz
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Big Block Clutch Options

yah i seen that one, it says 4 stroke..so i need to email n get specs about it then ill leave yinz alone. lol
mustangwagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 PM   #52
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Oh you need the belt pulley... those are normally only on the taper shaft clutches for stock replacement. The yamaha for example iirc the G1 uses the same clutch, it uses the same factory clutches as the 4 stroke, they do (or used to) list a different one for the comet replacement I don't know the difference. Everyone thinks the G1 runs high rpm and they don't, at least stock they don't, but the comet is adjustable anyway.

Anyway, normally you can only get the pulley by using the adapter to put a taper clutch on a straight shaft, which is how I and others put stock clutches on clone engines. You have to cut the crank down to fit unless you have room to move the engine way over, and drill/tap the hole deeper. Its not really that hard just some drilling. But if you want to take that off and fit a straight shaft clutch later you might not want to cut it too far not sure how much you need for those.

Or you can bore a taper clutch to 1" keyed, a machine shop can do that they do it to polaris ATV clutches all the time to use on v twins.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #53
jstjoehere
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I have a g2 yamaha im getting ready to install and honda gx 390 in it. I want to allow the engine to idle rather than shut off every time the accelerator is released, simply due to usage of cart. If anyone has any advice on a replacement it would be greatly appreciated. I dont mind buying the drive and driven clutches as a set.
jstjoehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #54
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstjoehere View Post
I have a g2 yamaha im getting ready to install and honda gx 390 in it. I want to allow the engine to idle rather than shut off every time the accelerator is released, simply due to usage of cart. If anyone has any advice on a replacement it would be greatly appreciated. I dont mind buying the drive and driven clutches as a set.
Best to call CPP and ask what clutch is best for that. You only need a primary but a different or new secondary may work better. The one I did uses both stock clutches and it is impressive and works pretty well. It does have a cut secondary and both clutches were rebuilt with new sheaves. I like the cut secondary it gives a lower 'first gear' so it winds up quicker on take off and more grunt for climbing and towing. In dirt it will dig a hole trying to pull something. It still has the stock spring in the secondary, but most big blocks you don't need a torque kit.

The stock clutch you have a hard time shifting while idling because the belt drags. Aftermarket clutch you can set to engage higher so it takes off even harder. I was able to do a donut on a dirt drive from a dead stop with this clone, I held the brake on a little and floored it. It starts with the pedal and like I said stock clutches aside from cut sheave on secondary.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #55
carryall with a briggs
Not Yet Wild

I got a comet 44 clutch for my 16hp vangaurd for $200 of a website and I am veryhappy with it..... Shipping was fast and the clutch is nice
carryall with a briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #56
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryall with a briggs View Post
I got a comet 44 clutch for my 16hp vangaurd for $200 of a website and I am veryhappy with it..... Shipping was fast and the clutch is nice
A *new* comet 44 clutch from a website, shipped for 2 bills ?

Where ?
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #57
carryall with a briggs
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
A *new* comet 44 clutch from a website, shipped for 2 bills ?

Where ?
yea brand new..... from gokartsupply.com...... my nabooir does alot of big block swaps and he told me about the site
carryall with a briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #58
jwcarts
Not Yet Wild

I would like some input on clutch alignment when building your own engine cradle. I am putting an 18 hp kohler command in an ez go. I actually replaced the crankshaft with one for the cub cadet utility vehicle and was able to use the cub uv cvt driving clutch. Any information on aligning the driving clutch and driven clutch would be appreciated.
jwcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:27 AM   #59
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcarts View Post
I would like some input on clutch alignment when building your own engine cradle. I am putting an 18 hp kohler command in an ez go. I actually replaced the crankshaft with one for the cub cadet utility vehicle and was able to use the cub uv cvt driving clutch. Any information on aligning the driving clutch and driven clutch would be appreciated.
You would get a better response by asking in the Big Block forum, this is a tech data "sticky" topic that is usually reserved just for info of a technical sort..

Anyway, you can get more in the general forum try the search feature. The pulleys have to line up so that when they are open (say full throttle) the belt won't be cocked..that is pretty much it.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #60
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

So none of these new clutches come with the pulley? Issue with a clone is they don't charge much, so using the stock generator or an automotive alternator are common solutions. I'd like to buy a clutch for mine next spring and will have the same issue since I start my clone with the gen also. Or have to figure out how to mod a pulley on to another clutch.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!