lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #1
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

Default What's killing my starter solenoid?

Something keeps killing my starter solenoid. I'm on #3 I'm the last 3 months and the current one lasted 5 starts. I've put a multimeter to everything and all switches work as their supposed to. The only questionable thing I've found is at the pedal switch I'm getting 12.5v out of it but when it gets to the solenoid its dropped down to about 10.
Miller6323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: What's killing my starter solenoid?

What solenoids are you using and where are you getting them from?

First, you can’t just use a regular automotive starter solenoid. It will burn up. You need a constant duty solenoid for golf carts. An automotive solenoid is only “on” for a couple seconds until the engine starts. Then it’s off. I’m a golf cart, it is “on” anytime the engine is running.

If you are using a golf cart solenoid, I’m gonna take a wild guess and say it’s an aftermarket one from Amazon or eBay. These are hit or miss, mostly miss. A good quality solenoid will last. The Chinese ones tend to either fail relatively quickly, or last and work just fine. There’s no way to tell. Redhawk brand makes decent aftermarket ones but you usually have to go to a golf cart shop to get them. They don’t sell online. Best bet is an oem one though, you should be able to get one at a good price from partzilla.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

I'm using ones for small engines. Like for a lawn mowers. I must have gotten a good one before then because I ran one for well ivwr a year with daily use and no issues. When it went is when I started burning through them.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Small engine solenoids are the same as automotive. They are not constant duty.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Get a golf cart solenoid and be done. Those solenoids won’t last. Surprised it lasted as long as it did to be honest, must have gotten lucky. I’d call plowmans and get an oem yamaha one, it will likely outlive the cart. Or get a red hawk one. Either way if you get a good solenoid it won’t burn up.
Old 12-05-2022, 12:35 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

This happens on classic cars all the time. It's sometimes caused by some yahoo "rewiring" the engine compartment to try and solve an electrical gremlin. If the voltage comes from the wrong place and is too high, it can burn up the solenoid as well. Has this cart been rewired? Does it look like someone has been monkeying around with the wires, like tape, colored crimp connectors etc? If so, it could be a wiring issue.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #7
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

Nope. Most wiring looks original except where they had wired in some headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Beyond that it looks normal. Like I said though, I've had a multimeter one everything and I'm only getting about 8-10 volts to the solenoid. At the output of the pedal switch I'm getting 12.5. Not sure why I have voltage drop or if that's normal?
Old 12-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Is this with the new solenoid or the old failed one,? A bad solenoid or shorted coil inside the solenoid can cause a voltage drop like that.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:48 AM   #9
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller6323 View Post
Nope. Most wiring looks original except where they had wired in some headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Beyond that it looks normal. Like I said though, I've had a multimeter one everything and I'm only getting about 8-10 volts to the solenoid. At the output of the pedal switch I'm getting 12.5. Not sure why I have voltage drop or if that's normal?
is there an inline resistor or diode involved? I assume you talking about coil voltage on the solenoid?

I have a g1 that had an issue where the clutch was grabbing too quickly which also caused me to burn though some solenoids before I got it sorted out. you would know its thats the case though if you felt the cart try to move under the starter power without the engine running.

It sounds like others are right here though if your using a monentary solenoid for lower amps and inadequate cooling it will burn up.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:04 PM   #10
Miller6323
Not Yet Wild

you would know its thats the case though if you felt the cart try to move under the starter power without the engine running.

You can drive the cart across the yard under starting power without the motor ever starting if you wanted to. Kinda like using the starter on a manual car to move it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha