lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2022, 05:13 PM   #1
gwhorto
Not Yet Wild

Default G29 2011 YAMAHA Bad Exhaust fumes

Ok Folks,
I have a Yamaha 2011 G29 that I recently had rebuilt, It was useing oil and seemed very loud to me. After the rebuild with a $300.00 rebuild kit from EBAY, maybe a mistake getting parts from EBAY. Runs fine but I still have what I would call a bad combustion smell and is still loud. I dissasembled the carbuerator and installed a $300.00 muffler. I'm still getting a little smoke on occasion too.
I did install a plowmans clutch which seems louder than the old factory clutch setup.
I am going to give this cart to my brother if I can ever get it running properly.
any thoughts from the masters on here?
Thank you!
gwhorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2022, 08:51 PM   #2
mta5002414
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G29 2011 YAMAHA Bad Exhaust fumes

What is your compression now after the rebuild? When you say it's loud do you mean exhaust or general noise, like mechanically? If you meant exhaust noise, did you replace the gasket when the new muffler was installed?
mta5002414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Emphasis on “still have” bad combustion smell. So it was smelling before the rebuild too

Few questions
How old is the gas?
If you drive it around for 10 min or so what does the spark plug look like?
What brand and number spark plug is installed, and how old is it?
Is this cart newer to you? Has it always smelled” or has it smelled only since you got it, and maybe you came from owning an electric cart before?

It’s a gas engine. There will always be some smell to it. So it *may* be normal. Also a windshield will make it worse as well. It shouldn’t gas you out, so to speak but a little bit of smell from a small engine I would not consider abnormal. But if it’s running rich or something else, it’s gonna be a whooole lot worse
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:46 PM   #4
gwhorto
Not Yet Wild

I did not rebuild so i do not know an answer to the compression. It just seems nuch louder than other carts, hard to explain and the new muffler didn't help at all. I did install the new muffler and used a new gasket. thanks for trying to help.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
gwhorto
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for trying to help. It did smell quite bad before the rebuild, I will drain the gas and I will look at the plug and type. I have had the cart for years. I do not smell any gas smell and i am seeing occasional smoke that is white.
Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

White smoke is water. Black sooty smoke is is fuel. Cloudy grey/black smoke is oil.

If the fuel is old, it could have water in it. If you drain the tank, also drain all the lines. While you're at it, install new rubber fuel hoses, cheap insurance.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
gwhorto
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Emphasis on “still have” bad combustion smell. So it was smelling before the rebuild too

Few questions
How old is the gas?
If you drive it around for 10 min or so what does the spark plug look like?
What brand and number spark plug is installed, and how old is it?
Is this cart newer to you? Has it always smelled” or has it smelled only since you got it, and maybe you came from owning an electric cart before?

It’s a gas engine. There will always be some smell to it. So it *may* be normal. Also a windshield will make it worse as well. It shouldn’t gas you out, so to speak but a little bit of smell from a small engine I would not consider abnormal. But if it’s running rich or something else, it’s gonna be a whooole lot worse
It has an NGK plug, I have a new one ordered. I drove it hard for about 14 minutes, after 10 mins or so i noticed smoke, There was definitely oil on the sparkplug.
Old 12-11-2022, 03:49 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

How full is the engine oil? Overfilled oil can act like this. Also see if the oil smells like fuel
Old 12-11-2022, 05:14 PM   #9
gwhorto
Not Yet Wild

Oil does not smell like fuel, I put in exactly 1 quart after the rebuild. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2022, 05:18 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

In that case, maybe worth trying a valve seal. But I’d bet it’s probably time to have it rebuilt. Use oem parts. The eBay China stuff is junk and just doesn’t last. Even if it does work, if you get a year out of it before it smokes again you’re lucky.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha