lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2022, 02:34 PM   #1
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48v Lithium 100ah battery

Hello. I am looking to upgrade my golf cart with a 48v 100ah lithium battery. My golf cart specs are below in my signature. Is it a simple matter of taking the old batteries out and installing the new battery? I read that my on board Lester II charger should be able to charge a lithium battery. Is this correct? Also, will converting to lithium affect my Alltrax 500 controller or 10 HP Admiral mot-A1?

Last but not least. If all of the above works, what kind of performance should I expect? Similar to standard batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6C437DA0-70FC-40F6-A816-E738FE1BDD4F.jpg (283.0 KB, 0 views)
Kolassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 48v Lithium 100ah battery

100 amp BMS that battery will never work in a golf cart. You’ll constantly be tripping the BMS and shutting the cart down, especially with a 500A alltrax.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I’m not the expert here but don’t think the battery you are looking at would have enough discharge capacity..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So I’m confused. I am obviously new to lithium batteries, but this one was advertised to be able to work with a golf cart. From what I can see, most lithium batteries have BMS software, so does the BMS prevent them from working with the golf cart.

Also, the other post said that there wouldn’t be enough amp discharge to live the cart? From what I can see, there is 100amp continuous discharge. How does this compare to a normal 6 pack of batteries? I’m looking at this specific unit because I found a vendor at work that can give me a good deal on it. But if it doesn’t work then obviously it’s not worth it. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Agree with both comments above, good thing you asked here before purchasing. Also, if your Lester charger is set up for Lead Acid, it cannot be used for lithium. They have very different charging requirements.

Edit to answer your last questions:
The BMS doesn’t have software to prevent it working with your cart but the BMS will limit the maximum current the battery can supply. Your cart, with or without the Alltrax, will require more than 100A at times (acceleration, hill climbing, etc.)

Lead Acid batteries current is not limited. When the current increases too much, the voltage just sags. Lithium must be protected against too high discharge currents that may damage the cells.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

A stock cart will run up to about 150-160 amps from a hard heavy accel from a stop. Cruising amperage in the 60 amp range at full speed. That battery may work okay on a completely stock cart assuming the 100 amps is continuous. But an upgraded cart can pull significantly more current than 100 amps for more than a typical 6-10 second peak.

Upgraded cart will pull significantly more current. You can mitigate that somewhat by limiting the max current draw on your controller in your alltrax toolkit but you’d want to see if that is 100 amps continuous or max.

I’d recommend doing some reading the the club car lithium section at the top of this forum. Education is key before dropping a bunch of $ on a battery.
Old 11-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #7
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolassus View Post
Hello. I am looking to upgrade my golf cart with a 48v 100ah lithium battery. My golf cart specs are below in my signature. Is it a simple matter of taking the old batteries out and installing the new battery? I read that my on board Lester II charger should be able to charge a lithium battery. Is this correct? Also, will converting to lithium affect my Alltrax 500 controller or 10 HP Admiral mot-A1?

Last but not least. If all of the above works, what kind of performance should I expect? Similar to standard batteries?

Kolassus we have similar specs on our carts...

I went roypow, the eco battery was on backorder. I'm happy with the roypow but eco battery specs i think are better and i like the battery meter, if i had any patience it would have been eco battery :)
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
Kolassus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How does the rowpow compare to the battery I posted? I confirmed the max output is 200amp. The continuous output is 100amp. I’m pretty sure I can limit my Alltrax to 200 or 100 amp if I wanted to. But would that severely limit what the 500 Alltrax and my motor are capable of? I love the idea of a Lithium battery, but I don’t want that to sacrifice the capabilities of the upgrades I have already made. It sounds like I’d be better off going with 6 new Trojan 875s vs this particular lithium battery.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

200 amp for how long? 100 amps continuous should be okay. You’d want to definitely limit max current from the alltrax though.

However…

It’s been pretty widely accepted that the high amperage controllers are not necessary or as beneficial with lithium due to the way they discharge.

voltage is relative to current draw. So with lead acid batteries, when you pull a large load, voltage dips down to 45-46v. Due to the dip in voltage, the current increases to sort of “compensate” for the voltage drop.

Lithium voltage does not sag like that. I’ve got a stock controller but admiral motor. Even under a heavy load driving up a large hill, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen my voltage drop below about 50 volts. Because of the higher and more stable voltage, the extra current draw is not necessary to have the same, if not better performance. Usually better performance due to stable voltage and about 300+ lbs less weight.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:26 PM   #10
mrmotoguzzi00
Gone Wild
Club Car

just as a fyi, When I upgraded to roypow i changed the map in the alltrax controller to a canned map for torque versus the speed map. It will hit 36+ and gets to 30 fairly quickly...
mrmotoguzzi00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car