lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-26-2022, 05:43 PM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default 2001 club car cranks, no start

Im stumped on a 2001 club car ds that won't fire. The engine has good compression, cleaned carb and it is getting fuel. Replaced spark plug and adjusted gap to .028. The starter has good brushes, selonoid, micro switches all working, and a good battery. Using a spark checker it has spark, but is it strong enough??
the cart will turn over but will not ignite EVEN with starting fluid. This is where I am stumped. I played around with the fuel-air mixture screw because at first, it appeared to be flooding. Gas was spitting into the choke hose, or I guess that's considered the air intake? so fuel was spitting out of the carb. In any case, even with a weak spark, wouldn't starting fluid attempt to ignite???? Because spraying ether is having no effect on igniting, I am assuming it has nothing to do with the carb. Before I dive into replacing the ignition coil is there anything else I need to check? Although the micro switches are good it acts as if it is in neutral. Press the accelerator, starter cranks, belt turns but no go. I feel like I'm missing something fairly simple???
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2001 club car cranks, no start

why wont starting fluid ignite if there is spark?
Old 11-26-2022, 05:53 PM   #3
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

would the key switch or engine kill micro switch in the CDI box have anything to do with the cart turning over but not igniting? and if so.. how would I test??
Old 11-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I am going to try and post a video. I removed the choke hose and when the accelerator is pressed you can clearly see fuel spitting out. I also have the spark tester attached so you can see there is spark. if the carb is flooded with fuel , this will prevent igniting, so using starting fluid would not help. Am I on the right track here?? should I just try a new carb???
Old 11-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Don’t use a spark tester. They’re unreliable. They only tell you *if* there is spark. Just because there “is” spark doesn’t mean it’s strong enough to ignite

Remove the plug, put it in the wire, hold it against the valve cover bolt and crank the engine. Tell me what color the spark is. It should be bright and blue in color. If it’s yellow or white it’s probably not going to run.

What does your compression look like, should be a minimum of 140+ to run decent, 160+ is better. Fresh rebuilt engine usually has between 165-170.

Have you checked valve lash?

Please don’t go replacing parts until you know what is wrong, and replacing that part will actually fix the cart. That’s a very expensive and frustrating way to “fix” anything.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #6
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

The compression was 150 +, no I haven't dived into adjusting the valves yet. I am just trying to understand all the possibilities, trying to eliminate the most common. I do understand what your saying about spark testing but it is a new spark plug. I will certainly perform the spark color test as you suggest. Would the color then suspect a bad coil? what confuses me the most is why doesn't starting fluid ignite even for a split second? You would think even a weak spark would cause a flash?
Old 11-26-2022, 07:14 PM   #7
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

how can I attach a video to this forum??? I uploaded the file post.mov but it is an invalid file ??
Old 11-26-2022, 07:26 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

White spark may run intermittently or not at all. Yellow spark generally won’t run at all.

What plug do you have installed?

The questions I asked will give a better understanding of what’s going on.

Are you guessing compression or did you test it?
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #9
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I tested the compression and it read 150 +. The spark plug was matched with the original when it ran so I know it is the correct plug. I know the carb is flooding because fuel keeps spurting out the intake into the choke hose. Adjusting the fuel/ air screw doesn't seem to be making any difference??? Obviously, a flooded carb will not ignite... but why is it flooding? I can take the carb apart again. What would I be looking for? what adjustments can be done to the float bowl? I have been troubleshooting this no-start issue for a couple of days. I had hoped cleaning the carb was all that needed to be done. This is a customer's golf cart that had been not used for months. The first thing I noticed was that the starter generator was wired wrong. The ground was coming from the A2 terminal not A1. The starter was weak and the ground end attached to the chassis was getting hot! How this cart even ran is beyond me and how long it has been incorrectly wired???? After switching the wires from the A1 and A2 terminals the starter cranked as it should and seems strong. Because the cart would still not start I figured it to be a fuel issue. Spark was weak so I replaced plug. Spark is stronger, carb is now flooding. fix the flood or replace the carb? I have tried to attach a quick video showing the blowback of fuel coming from the carb as well as the spark strength but i cant seem to save the video in a file that works.
Old 11-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #10
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

I guess I should disconnect the fuel line going to the carb and check again with the starting fluid ???? If the starting fluid ignites I can rule out the sparkplug/ ignition problem. If not ,.. looks like it may need a new coil. Does this make sense????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car