lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car


Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2022, 09:54 PM   #11
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,746
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Perhaps it is the reduced capacity at colder temperatures but would ambient temperatures in the low 50's really have this much effect?
Yes. Performance and capacity will be reduced approx 10% or more going from 80F to 50F depending on the battery.

Your battery is rated at 600 peak, 200 amps continuous.

However, your ac system is also rated at 600 peak, though I cannot find what it is rated for continuous. I think youíre system is getting close to the threshold, but matched pretty well to your battery for optimum conditions, but with a reduction in temp sounds like itís just enough to put it over the edge and shut down the BMS. I donít think itís the temp itself shutting down the BMS as much as it is the reduced performance due to the temps putting it over the threshold of what the BMS considers ďokĒ. Colder temps slow down all the reactions inside the battery that make the juice flow.

If you turn down the current maximums in your controller I think you should be fine (assuming my theory is correct).


Living in Michigan I can say I definitely see a difference running at 50 degrees vs 80-90 degrees in the summer. And Iím running a stock controller still. The colder it gets, the more noticeable it is. Range (capacity) especially drops drastically once the white stuff starts hitting the ground. This year Iíll probably mostly park my electric cart for the winter and use my gas one. It doesnít care if itís warm or cold


Hereís a chart that may be helpful. Itís a generic chart but does illustrate how much difference temp makes.
Attached Images
File Type: png 1CDA7090-119D-43A3-9D46-59CD2FC1E9EE.png (111.6 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 11-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
DaveTM
Gone Wild
 
DaveTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Pa.
Posts: 5,647
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Perhaps it is the reduced capacity at colder temperatures but would ambient temperatures in the low 50's really have this much effect?
Temperature in the 50ís may have some effect on themÖcompared to say 70-80ís. But not like temperatures in the 20-30ís.

I think WalterM6 has a good suggestion. If you donít have steep hills, you may want to set that max amp draw to 250-275 to preserve power for a longer run.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #13
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Unfortunately I do have steep hills which is what led me down the AC motor and high output battery in the first place. The shut down has occurred even with top speed turned down to 25mph (top speed during summer is 45ish). I do have acceleration turned up though so maybe dialing it down could do it. Honestly I'm leaning towards the Eco battery 70v set up and selling this pack. There just doesn't seem to be as many issues with Eco and their customer service is top notch whereas the Extreme Team service is mostly a miss...
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 09:32 AM   #14
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Yes. Performance and capacity will be reduced approx 10% or more going from 80F to 50F depending on the battery.

Your battery is rated at 600 peak, 200 amps continuous.

However, your ac system is also rated at 600 peak, though I cannot find what it is rated for continuous. I think youíre system is getting close to the threshold, but matched pretty well to your battery for optimum conditions, but with a reduction in temp sounds like itís just enough to put it over the edge and shut down the BMS. I donít think itís the temp itself shutting down the BMS as much as it is the reduced performance due to the temps putting it over the threshold of what the BMS considers ďokĒ. Colder temps slow down all the reactions inside the battery that make the juice flow.

If you turn down the current maximums in your controller I think you should be fine (assuming my theory is correct).


Living in Michigan I can say I definitely see a difference running at 50 degrees vs 80-90 degrees in the summer. And Iím running a stock controller still. The colder it gets, the more noticeable it is. Range (capacity) especially drops drastically once the white stuff starts hitting the ground. This year Iíll probably mostly park my electric cart for the winter and use my gas one. It doesnít care if itís warm or cold


Hereís a chart that may be helpful. Itís a generic chart but does illustrate how much difference temp makes.
Thanks for the reply. My ET pack is actually only rated at 350peak and 300 continuous. The owner said with that much power the pack shouldn't be cutting off and sent a new BMS which I replaced but the problem still persists.
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #15
simicrintz
Gone Wild
 
simicrintz's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hurricane, Utah
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

I will try and stop by and see the gang at Eco; I know that they have some info that I am not able to share quite yet and will see if they can post an update
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:53 AM   #16
DaveMJ
Gone Wild
 
DaveMJ's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 390
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I will try and stop by and see the gang at Eco; I know that they have some info that I am not able to share quite yet and will see if they can post an update [emoji106]
Intriguing.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 11:36 AM   #17
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot
 
CP241's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,746
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Thanks for the reply. My ET pack is actually only rated at 350peak and 300 continuous. The owner said with that much power the pack shouldn't be cutting off and sent a new BMS which I replaced but the problem still persists.
InterestingÖ I had seen a previous post where you were experiencing a similar issue where you had said you had the 72v 150aH pack and their website claims 600A peak and 200 continuous, unless they programmed a custom BMS for you when you went through the warranty process last time?

I was just looking again and I find their specs interesting.
Their 72v 200aH is rated 200 continuous, 600 peak. Which would make sense in my brain, continuous rated at 1C and peak at 3C (which is pretty standard with most of these cart battery kits, give or take.

However what I also find is the 150aH and the 100aH both have the same 600 peak and 200 continuous

Either theyíre over eating the C ratings on the smaller packs, underrating the C rating on the larger packs, or just donít have correct information on their website.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:14 PM   #18
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
InterestingÖ I had seen a previous post where you were experiencing a similar issue where you had said you had the 72v 150aH pack and their website claims 600A peak and 200 continuous, unless they programmed a custom BMS for you when you went through the warranty process last time?

I was just looking again and I find their specs interesting.
Their 72v 200aH is rated 200 continuous, 600 peak. Which would make sense in my brain, continuous rated at 1C and peak at 3C (which is pretty standard with most of these cart battery kits, give or take.

However what I also find is the 150aH and the 100aH both have the same 600 peak and 200 continuous

Either theyíre over eating the C ratings on the smaller packs, underrating the C rating on the larger packs, or just donít have correct information on their website.
I think the new ones are their "high output" batteries and mine was the first generation model
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:16 PM   #19
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NC
Posts: 111
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I will try and stop by and see the gang at Eco; I know that they have some info that I am not able to share quite yet and will see if they can post an update
Update as in a new battery line or an update to when the app comes out, or something else? Thanks
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:21 PM   #20
simicrintz
Gone Wild
 
simicrintz's Avatar
Club Car
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hurricane, Utah
Posts: 1,771
Default Re: Eco battery and cold(er) weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Update as in a new battery line or an update to when the app comes out, or something else? Thanks
Sorry-sworn to secrecy!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Battery warming for remote cold-weather cart use Electric Club Car
hunting cart with Lithium battery's for cold weather Lithium Club Car
Battery bad after running in cold weather? Gas EZGO
Cold weather use Electric Club Car
Cold Weather Battery Storage/Charging Electric Club Car


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. © 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.