lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2022, 10:40 AM   #1
s10mods
Not Yet Wild

Default YDRE High speed gear set same as gas?

I have a 2007 YDRE and I want to pick up a 8:1 gear set for it. I see some sets that are listed as GAS, my question is are the gas and electric gear sets the same? My cart has the Team diff, and I read somewhere about weak HS gear sets. I do have a spare Dana diff, would I be better off getting HS gears for that diff and swap it in? Fabrication is no issue, I gutted the cart and put my own motor, controller, wiring in.
s10mods is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2022, 11:09 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: YDRE High speed gear set same as gas?

Unless you have a very high torque motor, I would not recommend an 8:1 gear set. I have 9:1 in one of my Yamaha Drive carts and the standard 12.5:1 in the other and I like the standard gear set much better. An 8:1 gear set - especially if you have larger than the small standard tires will have very little torque. I upgraded to a D&D high torque motor in my 2012 with 9:1 gears and it's ok now but I still prefer the standard gear ratio with as large a tire as will fit on a non lifted cart.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #3
s10mods
Not Yet Wild

I'm currently running ~20Kw on accel, with a 205/65R10 I can pull the front tires off the ground. I get ~40mph spinning the motor 8k rpm. I'm trying to see if I can get to 60 mph. Waiting on my new batteries to arrive to go from 72 to 96V. I want to find the limit of my motor.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:58 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

All I can say is better you than me. Try stopping quickly from 40mph without front brakes.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:28 PM   #5
s10mods
Not Yet Wild

I am already planning on adding front brakes this winter, but back to my original question, are the electric HS gears the same as the gas? Are the HS gears weak on the Team diff?
Old 11-19-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

There are more than one option for high speed gears. I don't know where they came from but my 2012 cart came with 9:1 HS gears. They have been fine. I also have no experience with gas Yamaha carts - only electric.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha