lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default ElCon charger ZEVA BMS...and a charging "thing"

When I installed my Leaf pack using a ZEVA BMS 16v2 I purchased an ElCon TC 1800 W charger.

I set the pack charge to 57V and since day 1, the pack would charge up 57.3V before finally shutting down.

Last night was a different story. The pack was up to 57.5V of charging...and the charger was "trickle" charging at about 2amps. So, instead of waiting to see if my HV relay would trip, I just unplugged the charger.

I put in a request to an outfit in California (they did not sell ZEVA's back in 2018 ) and ask if they had any idea what the issue would be.

I'll let ya know. Meanwhile, if you have any thoughts on this I'd appreciate any input.

I was thinking I could reset the max pack charge from 57V to 56V. I do not have the option of setting pack voltages to anything but "round" numbers. In other words I can't set the charger to shutdown at...say 56.8v. I don't have the option of any partial V settings on the charger.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: ElCon charger ZEVA BMS...and a charging "thing"

This sounds like a charger issue. Sounds like the output voltage is higher than you have set it at. What is the open circuit voltage?
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I’m not quite sure what you’re asking me. If you mean the cell HV relay I think I have it set at 4.1…or mebby 4.15. I can’t check that right now as the cart is on the back of my pickup truck waiting for me to get out a bit later for archery deer.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

No. What is the open circuit voltage of the charger when not connected to the battery?
Old 11-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
No. What is the open circuit voltage of the charger when not connected to the battery?
I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean. How do I measure this and where do I measure this at?
Old 11-18-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Measure it on the output of your charger when it's not connected to the battery.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok….how do I do that? Disconnect the charger…and hook the MM to the positive & negative & plug in charger?

I thought the charger had to “sense” the pack in order for it to “push” current to the pack?

Remember…I’m not an engineer so you gotta dumb it down.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:28 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Never mind…I found how to check my charger with my MM. I’ll do this tomorrow and report the results.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2022, 09:57 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I’m obviously missing something here. I’ve disconnected the charging outputs on the charger, plugged it in and nothing happens except the charger flashes a red, then green, then nothing for 5 seconds, then red, green…and on.

I tried disconnecting the charger from the BMS, but still the same.

So I grabbed my vehicle 12v charger (different charger) and it just gives me the “error code “ light when I touch the MM probes to the terminal clamps.

Again..I thought these chargers had to detect a battery before they began charging.

I’m perplexed at this point.
Old 11-19-2022, 11:12 AM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Some chargers do have to detect a battery before turning on. My Lithium chargers don't do that though. I can measure the open circuit voltage by turning it on and measuring the leads with my MM. It also displays the voltage on the front.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO