lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 gas RXV engine operation

I've been reading the operating manual for the gas RXV. As I understand it, the engine will never idle. Each time you want to move forward you have to start the engine by pressing the gas pedal and every time you come to a stop it will cut the engine.

Is this correct? Seems strange to me that you cannot idle the engine when stopped. Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?
JTCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2010 gas RXV engine operation

It’s a golf cart. It’s designed to transport people from shot to shot which means they are getting out of the cart each time. Don’t want an engine running without someone in the cart plus it is making noise. Also makes it easier to shift.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

OK, makes sense for golf course use. Just not the way I plan to use it. In my case I will have to come to stops at intersections or pedestrians. I've read that there is a work around.
Old 11-17-2022, 12:37 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

With the exception of a few utility style golf carts (like the club car carryall) most golf carts do not idle for the reasons above.

There are ways to modify it to make them idle but I generally wouldn’t recommend it. You can run into shifting issues without clutch modifications and they generally won’t charge the battery idling at low rpm.

Really I prefer pedal start though. They fire up pretty much instantly when you hit the pedal so idling really isn’t necessary
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If you need something that idles and climbs hills and hauls stuff then I’d consider getting a key start carryall or a gator or something meant to operate that way. I had a gator that would climb and crawl through pretty much anything but they’re also large and very heavy compared to a golf cart. And no back seat but hauling parts around a race track the big bed might come in handy b
Old 11-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
If you need something that idles and climbs hills and hauls stuff then I’d consider getting a key start carryall or a gator or something meant to operate that way. I had a gator that would climb and crawl through pretty much anything but they’re also large and very heavy compared to a golf cart. And no back seat but hauling parts around a race track the big bed might come in handy b
I guess it all stems from my ignorance of gas carts and how they behave. I've used electric exclusively so wasn't aware of the subtle nuances between electric and gas carts operation. I guess, when you think about it, all electric carts only run when you press the go pedal. I'm pretty adaptable so I'm sure I can deal with it.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It really isn’t an issue. The instant you hit the pedal the engine starts to turn and it just goes. It’s not like there’s a delay like when you have to turn a key, crank for a couple seconds and then once it’s running you can hit the gas and go. As long as the cart is functioning properly there should be virtually zero delay from hitting the pedal to movement, very similar to an electric cart.

I know you’re asking a lot of questions and learning about what you need and what will work for you, which is why we all come here. It’s a great community and a great hobby. And a ton of knowledgeable folks here. I might suggest driving a couple gas carts before pulling the trigger just so you can have a better idea of exactly how they work and operate.

I’ve owned a ton of gas carts. And several (though not nearly As many) electric carts. Mostly because when I was in Georgia when I decided to sell them, gas carts moved a lot faster and easier in my area. Electric just didn’t sell. But both have their pluses and minuses. I have one of each right now. I personally prefer my 2008 IQ DS that’s electric. But I have a gas DS as well and can’t say I don’t like it, but my electric has a ton more power and speed than the gas one ever will. I wouldn’t say it’s highly modified by any means but it’s not stock either. The gas one does much much better in cold weather though where the batteries just don’t last as long due to the temps.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:18 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Both of my carts have been converted to key starting. I use the both to drive around the island I live. Both were converted when stock powered and both with engine swaps. With the idle properly adjusted shifting is no issue. IF you use your cart like a car key start is a lot smoother driving and I suspect easier on the whole charging circuit in general. Again in both my yamaha G14 and 1982 HD I to merely had to wire a bypass of the start stop switch to convert them to key switch operation. P.S. I have driving my gas carts here on the island since 2008.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:47 PM   #9
JTCart
Not Yet Wild

OK, the person selling the 2010 RXV gas has dropped his price to $4300 firm. Talking it over with the wife and will decide what direction is best.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Well between this or that IQ Club Car you’ve got 2 really good options. Just have to decide gas or electric

Having owned lots of both flavors, I personally love my electric DS. It performs better than any gas cart I’ve ever owned. But really the part that made the whole electric thing worthwhile for me is when I installed lithium.

Lead acid an IQ DS vs gas RXV it’s a toss up. Probably lean towards the gas but it would be a close call.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO