lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Team Clutch in Plowman's Performance Kit

I installed Plowman's Performance Kit on my 2021 Yamaha Drive 2 which included the Team primary clutch Plowmans sends, heavier spring in secondary clutch, high flow air filter and Plowman's performance belt.

A couple questions for those familiar with Plowman's clutch setup:

1) I have recently seen some negative comments regarding Team brand clutches and that their service life is much less than the FBT style clutch (current clutch Yamaha factory installs) due to them not being sealed well (allowing dirt and debris to enter) and that the rollers inside begin to wear a flat spot which reduces the clutch function. One place I have seen this is in the comments section of this Youtube video that Power Equipment Man posted. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhRyZvRjqU

Does anyone know if Plowman's actually updates the rollers and other parts (bushings, etc) inside of the Team clutch shell with higher quality components to increase the service life of the clutch they send with their performance kit? Does anyone know if the service life of the Team clutch Plowman's sends will still be less than the FBT clutch that Yamaha now factory installs? Anyone know what the expected service life is of the Team primary clutch Plowman's provides?

2) One of the comments made in the comments section of the video above is that the belt that Plowman's sends is too wide for the Team clutch they send. I have also wondered this because the new Plowman's belt fits tight in the Team primary clutch thereby making it a direct drive system. As soon as you push the pedal, the electric starter motor engages which immediately begins turning the belt and therefore the wheels. It does not allow the gas motor to start and begin revving before the clutch engages on the belt (as is the case with the factory FBT clutch). Does anyone think this is bad design and will cause the starter motor to wear out prematurely due to the load placed on it every time you push the pedal? With this Plowman's setup, the starter motor is being asked to turn the wheels and start the motor at the same time (due to the belt being tight on the primary clutch).
TCDrive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Team Clutch in Plowman's Performance Kit

I know Don wouldn’t sell anything he knows will cause a problem.

The only way to know if or what he’s done to modify is to call him. He won’t bite.

I would take anything on YouTube with a grain of salt. You don’t know the history or background of these people but I know Don has decades of experience specifically with Yamaha golf carts.

Just call him if you have questions about what he makes.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Haven’t watched the video….but is the guy who’s critical of the Plowman kit offer an alternative? If so I’d be skeptical of that.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I agree. Would much prefer to just speak directly to Don about it. However, my previous experience (when buying the kit) was he was very difficult to reach (never available when I called).
Old 11-07-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
TCDrive2
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Haven’t watched the video….but is the guy who’s critical of the Plowman kit offer an alternative? If so I’d be skeptical of that.
He does and I agree, I am always skeptical when somebody is offering (selling) an alternative, but also wonder if there is any merit to what was said about the Team clutches. I think what would answer it for me is if anybody knows if Plowmans updates the internal components of the Team clutch to ensure quality and longevity vs the standard components (rollers, bushings, etc.) that Team has historically installed in these clutches?

Would also like to know if anybody has an opinion on the Plowman belt being tight on the Team clutch, thereby adding additional load to the starter motor. Hopefully this is a non-issue, but I doubt the electric starter motor was originally designed to handle the load of both turning the wheels and starting the motor at the same time. Again, hopefully this does not lessen the life of the starter motor, but if anyone has any thoughts (experience) with this, let me know. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

According to his website he installs his own weights, bushings, engagement spring, and rebalances it.

But again, don’t take my word for it I’d get answers direct from the source. And I’d still take his word for it over some random YouTube guy. Even if the guy had a few million subscribers to back up the substance in his videos it might lend a little more credibility but he doesn’t and I’d still take dons 40+ year’s experience over YouTube.

Just my .02

When I need an answer at work I go to the engineer that designed the thing. Not google or 3rd parties.
Old 11-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #7
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Now has CP will happily tell you that I’m a big idiot and I know I’m an idiot but I do know 1 thing roller clutches don’t just ware out because I had a roller clutch off a 1977 Harley I know not the same thing but they do operate the same way and the clutch off the Harley was perfect after 55 years of having the nuts ran of it for 20 years and sitting for 35 years in a field and that guy is full of it I saw that same replacement clutch that he was showing on Amazon and it was a Chinese piece of crap
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 05:57 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon willis View Post
Now has CP will happily tell you that I’m a big idiot and I know I’m an idiot but I do know 1 thing roller clutches don’t just ware out because I had a roller clutch off a 1977 Harley I know not the same thing but they do operate the same way and the clutch off the Harley was perfect after 55 years of having the nuts ran of it for 20 years and sitting for 35 years in a field and that guy is full of it I saw that same replacement clutch that he was showing on Amazon and it was a Chinese piece of crap
Actually in a roundabout, somewhat jumbled way, it’s probably one of the more intelligent comments I’ve seen from you

On that, you REALLY have to flat spot the rollers before you see degradation of performance. And it takes years of heavy abuse to do that. But the roller style clutches are much more easily tuneable and rebuildable than flyweight style clutches as well.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:14 PM   #9
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

LET’S GO I didn’t sound like an idiot
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:19 PM   #10
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon willis View Post
LET’S GO I didn’t sound like an idiot
You did good Mr Willis
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha