lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Kudzupatch
Not Yet Wild

Default FE400 gradual loss of power

Bobcat Workmat 2100, FE400 engine if that matters to anyone.

I have had it about year. Noticed recently it has started to loose power on hills. Still runs but it doesn't have the acceleration on the hills it used to have.

It is slowly getting worse and when you crank it acts like it is cold for a long time. Wants to stall when you hit throttle. Once warm it never hits the rev limiter if I hold down the throttle. Obviously lost some of its power.

Have not looked at anything yet but I am familiar with engines. V8's mostly, small engines obviously operate the same.

First thing is check the plug and general tune up items. I am assuming it has solid lifters? Valves might be out of adjustment. If so what is the lash setting on them?

Any common issues with this engine I should look for?
Kudzupatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: FE400 gradual loss of power

Most of the 350s and 400s have compression release which will have hydraulic lifters and no adjustment.
Spark plug, air filter, fuel filters, and clean out the carb. Start there and see if it improves. Then move on to throttle cable and governor cable adjustments.

Also a worn out belt and worn or sticking clutches will cause you to lose power and speed. Unless the motor is smoking or making obvious noise I would not go into it with the idea of doing a rebuild. External stuff first.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:03 AM   #3
Kudzupatch
Not Yet Wild

Did not know about the lifters but that is why I was asking. Not fooled with motorcycle type engines in 30+ years?

I was thinking basically along the lines you suggest. No rebuild for sure. Could just be a spark plug. But sure it is something small. Just thought there might be something that is common with this engine. Better to ask than waste a lot of time.

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

As FT said, don’t forget to check the clutches and belt carefully. They are what transfers all the power from the engine to the wheels and when worn or not operating properly your performance will suffer drastically.

If you’re not sure what to look for or how they work check this video. It does a great job explaining. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:15 PM   #5
Kudzupatch
Not Yet Wild

I found that the throttle linkage has loosened up so I was not getting WOT. So that was part of the issue.

Using it around the yard today it kept stalling coming off idle. Touch the throttle and it wanted to die. I knew that wasn't related to the cable so kept looking.

Plug looks great, in fact to great. Too white so I was pretty certain it was lean. After checking for fuel flow and other obvious things I went for spin and found that a little bit of choke made it come alive.

So, I am pretty sure there is some trash in the carb. One of the jets or passages is probably restricted. Monday I will take it off and clean all the passages. I bought some brushes a while back just for this purpose. Time to try them out.

Filters looked good I think it is time to change them out too. There is a bit of trash in the bottom of the gas tank and I really don't want to have to take it out.
Old 10-29-2022, 09:39 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I don't worry about junk in the tank. If it gets sucked up on the end of the pickup tube I just pull the tube out and trim the end off about 1/4" higher at an angle and that seems to work.
Filters can cause lots of issues. Pluck them a couple times to shake them up to see if there is water in them. If the element is discolored, greyish or brown, usually means they need to be changed, but occasionally they might look brand new and still have water in the element.

I would guess there is some dirt or maybe just some gunk in the carb that is blocking the main jet, which should be as simple as just cleaning the carb out really well.
Old 10-31-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
Kudzupatch
Not Yet Wild

So, I pulled the carb, disassembled and cleaned it. Only a minor bit sediment in the bowl. As I mentioned I recently got a carb cleaning kit with a set of bushes and welding tip cleaning wires. I cleaned all the passes and flushed with cleaner. Looked very good to start with

I had not noticed the second fuel filter after the pump, sort of hidden from sight, it it was discolored but seemed to flow well but I suspected it might be the problem. I replaced both filters and checked to make sure the pump was working.

Got it back together once I got it warm it did run better but still not 100%. No longer stalls when you give it throttle which is the main issue. But out on the road at speed it still slowing down on the hills more than it was a week ago.

Don't think it is drive line related because a little choke and it picks ups Like it was. Still pretty sure there is a fuel issue and it is a little lead. Drove it around our loop and it seemed to get better the more I drove it but still no 100%
Old 10-31-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
Aggiesdm
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudzupatch View Post
So, I pulled the carb, disassembled and cleaned it. Only a minor bit sediment in the bowl. As I mentioned I recently got a carb cleaning kit with a set of bushes and welding tip cleaning wires. I cleaned all the passes and flushed with cleaner. Looked very good to start with

I had not noticed the second fuel filter after the pump, sort of hidden from sight, it it was discolored but seemed to flow well but I suspected it might be the problem. I replaced both filters and checked to make sure the pump was working.

Got it back together once I got it warm it did run better but still not 100%. No longer stalls when you give it throttle which is the main issue. But out on the road at speed it still slowing down on the hills more than it was a week ago.

Don't think it is drive line related because a little choke and it picks ups Like it was. Still pretty sure there is a fuel issue and it is a little lead. Drove it around our loop and it seemed to get better the more I drove it but still no 100%
Just a quick question...

Could the "slowing" you're experiencing at speed on the road, be the governor kicking in once you hit top RPMs? Or is the engine really bogging down?
Aggiesdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #9
Kudzupatch
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesdm View Post
Just a quick question...

Could the "slowing" you're experiencing at speed on the road, be the governor kicking in once you hit top RPMs? Or is the engine really bogging down?
It is motor.

Not about top speed but just slower speed because of less power going up a hill. Accelerates slower too.

A bit choke and motor and ground speed increase. I am not concerned about top speed. We use it to work around the camp and trails in the woods mostly. But obviously something is not right.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:29 PM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Did you remove the main jet from the carb to clean it? There is a pilot tube above that that usually needs to be cleaned as well. Once the main jet is removed you stick a flat screwdriver in through the carb throat and press down on the brass tube right in the center and it should pop out. It may take a few taps to get it to come out of the carb. Clean the passages well with compressed air and carb or brake cleaner. You do not want to use any kind of wire or abrasive on the main jet or the pilot tube.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car