lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-22-2022, 04:31 PM   #1
Shotgunsmitty
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT Starter/Gen won't spin up after running for a while

My 1996 EZGO TXT will start up and run just fine. After driving for a bit 5 min or more, it will intermittently not kick over starter generator when pedal is pushed down. Some times you can kick it on by pressing pedal multiple times. What seems to always get it to kick back on is to turn key to off and turn back on. I've replaced the micro switch in pedal box, wire harness from pedal box, keyed switch, and solenoid all OEM from reputable EZGO dealer. I'm totally baffled as there seems to be no consistency. Once you turn the key off and then on, it runs fine for a bit and then randomly won't. Has anyone else experience this?
Shotgunsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-22-2022, 04:41 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: EZGO TXT Starter/Gen won't spin up after running for a while

When it won’t start, try rotating the drive clutch by hand a half turn and then step on the pedal again. It may simply be jsut worn brushes
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
Shotgunsmitty
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thank you. I'll get it out and running this weekend and try your recommendation. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 08-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #4
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Is the solenoid clicking when pushing the pedal when it won't spin? IF so, then probably not the ignition circuit. It's probably a dead spot in the starter as stated above by CP241.......

To make sure it's the starter;
When in no go condition holding the pedal down check it with a meter, ground the neg wire of meter to the neg side of battery then check the lead at the starter for battery voltage. IF it's there then yep starter failure.....

Coincidently in the last 2 days mine has been acting somewhat the same, it's not the ignition switch or the shifter and/or pedal microswitches as the solenoid is clicking. I had been able to keep it going by hand turning the starter 1/2 turn or so, but yesterday the dead spot has grown to only a tiny little good spot lol. I got real tired of that trying to golf a round....

So yeah likely brushes, I'm thinking for me since this starter is original and 37 years old I elected to just order a new one. Brushes are cheap and I agree should be tried first though, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 10:28 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I'll follow up with mine:

Got the new starter yesterday and it did indeed fix the issue, started it probably about 50 times so far. Works perfectly.
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 06:36 PM   #6
Shotgunsmitty
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update - Cart ran great for a month or two without an issue. The other day ran horribly. I tried rotating the starter generator and it did not change the no go situation. The only thing that worked was to turn key off and then on a couple of times. I put the meter on the wire from key switch today and was pulling 12.3v when the starter would start. When the starter would not the voltage had dropped to under 9. Turn key off and on again and back to 12v. Could the voltage regulator be going bad and causing an issue? When the key reset is performed could it temporarily "fix" the issue with voltage regulator? That is the only old part, besides starter/generator.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:44 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If cycling the key switch of and back on fixes it, I’d replace the key switch. It’s cheap and easy. Sounds like there’s a voltage drop happening and it would either be in the key switch contacts or the pedal switch.

If you wanted to know for sure, when it is in a failed state (won’t start) check voltage at the pedal switch. Both wires (you’ll have to press the pedal down to get voltage on the second wire). If both of these are 12v then do the same at the key switch.

If one wire at the pedal switch shows 9v going out and 12v going in, then the pedal switch needs to be replaced.

Or for ~$20 you can replace both and in all likelihood it will be just fine afterwards. I just like to know exactly which part is failing and causing the voltage drop, even if I do replace both parts.

If you only have 9v going into the pedal switch then you e got a bad connection somewhere. This circuit runs from battery to pedal to key switch to solenoid.

It’s possible the solenoid is also failing and the coil inside the solenoid has a short and drawing excessive current and dropping the voltage down, but if I were a betting man my guess is going to be key switch.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #8
Shotgunsmitty
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I recently replaced key switch with what I thought was OEM. I'll try and search out OEM key switch and hopefully that will fix it. I'll also check wiring diagram. I believe mine is running from key switch to green pedal switch back to fuse line wire then to solenoid. Maybe something is off there? I've just replaced parts and plugged back in the way they came off.
Old 11-19-2022, 05:56 PM   #9
Shotgunsmitty
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I ended up replacing the key switch and it ran flawlessly for 2 weeks. Then right back to the same problems. After a bit of frustration, I have bypassed the key switch and not having any problems. What would cause 2 OEM switches to fail? When testing voltage at the battery while under power, I get 14.4V and no more at wide open throttle. Appears voltage regulator is good. Thoroughly confused.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make sure you don’t have excessive amperage going through the key switch and damaging the contacts.

Set your meter to DC Amps. Unplug the key switch and connect one meter lead to each of the key switch wires. Step on the pedal and run it for a minute. See how much current is actually going through the key switch. If you have a radio or lights or anything with power being drawn from the key switch that can overload it as well.

Other possibility, cheap Chinese key switches

Tags
electrical, ezgo gas, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO