lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #41
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Uno Batteries

Interesting discussion. Lots of good info. Pretty clear both battery chemistries have their pros and cons.

One reason conventional LA batteries have been popular for so long is the fact that they can take any abuse without safety issues. Unless you trap the hydrogen gasses or drop one on your foot.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #42
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
or drop one on your foot.

Yes it is an interesting discussion Scotty but going off track. Nick from Uno Batteries still hasn't returned with an answer to mine and Volt_Ampares very direct and specific question. All he did was come here for a free marketing plug and complain about the cart community.

Quote:
I have been stunned by the online etiquette in the golf cart community. We have invested millions of US dollars to design, build and support a golf cart battery domestically and the online temperament has been hostile.
Maybe if they were more honest, and/or answered specific questions put to them they'd get a different reception.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #43
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Not saying they will but it really has not been that much time to pass. Not sure why you guys are expecting instant response.

A possible explanation about the differences in the batteries is that the other batteries don't live up to the claim? Not defending Uno, they stated they based the marketing stuff on valid real world tests.

A way of really putting this to bed is to have a third party of some kind test the longevity between the batteries and if Uno is confident in their claims then doing such would be an easy win to reap rewards vs. getting offended at the community response vs. amount of money and time spent on something.The response from Uno does seem like a deflection/smoke and mirror tactic but that response could have just been a passionate one vs. looking at it objectively.

I would think that anyone involved in the development of that battery and trust in the company would immediately come up with "All right we understand the apprehension, here's what we're going to do" type plan/test and publish it (not their own of course). It's possible that's what they're doing now so would not take the lack of response as avoidance just yet.

Even if the actual mileage is the same or close to the other batteries there would still be other possibilities around quality (although it seems someone else has reported battery trips already but I think all lithium does that at this point) or other points of advantage differentiation. Patriot power provides 100ah 48v kit for $2800. have no idea if they suck or not. Would think all lithium have similar challenges on golf carts at this stage but they also claim 50-60mile range.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 10:55 PM   #44
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Wow - I Just read this whole thread. Honestly I am surprised by the lack of manners questioning the manufactures performance claims without any hard contrary evidence.
It didn't take me 10 minutes to find that their cells hold more voltage and weigh less. Any 5th grader familiar with Ohms law would know that more voltage and less weight would increase the watts or work capacity of the battery when compared to a similar capacity battery.

I think we all need to give Uno a chance to show what their battery can do before you condemn them on a forum for not sharing trade information.

And I hope Uno will not judge us all by what is represented here in this thread.
I for one have been using lithium packs for 10 yrs or more in various sizes for hobby, work, and home.
I'm not an engineer but I know the same size battery can be constructed to produce different c and e ratings. Even within the same chemistry one battery can be constructed to yield more power while the other is constructed to yield more work. If one battery has a higher voltage per cell and those cells are built to deliver more work then it seems that battery would yield significantly longer run times.
So everybody please. Take a step back and allow this new battery room to show us what it can do. Battery technology is still evolving. Lets take a breath, stand back, and give Uno some room to show us what they got. I for one am excited to see it in action.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:53 AM   #45
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Scotty, their “packs” have an almost identical maximum voltage. 58.4 maximum for a 16s LiFePO4 and 58.8v for 14s NMC. Nominal voltage is also very similar at 51.2v for LiFePO4 (16 x 3.2v) and 51.1v for NMC (14 x 3.65v) the stored energy is almost identical as well at 4608Wh for LiFePO4 and 4536Wh for NMC. The NMC “packs” have two less “cells” than LiFePO4 packs, 14 vs 16. I certainly don’t need to be educated in Ohms Law!

The packs are pretty much identical except for the weight difference which is a claimed 60lbs, yet they are claiming a 50% increase in range from 40mi to 60mi by just dropping 60lbs.

That is what I’m querying.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 08-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #46
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Have you ever tried to match your car manufactures MPG rating?
I have without success.
Hopefully Uno will address your question to your satisfaction. Good day
Old 08-12-2022, 05:20 PM   #47
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Scotty,

I agree with that statement, and that is why manufacturers SHOULD be queried about their claims. But we’re talking apples and oranges as I’m not questioning their 60mi range claim. I’m questioning the difference between their claimed range and their claimed competitors range under the same conditions.

What about this analogy. Your car has a metal fuel tank, you replace it with a lighter plastic one that holds the same amount of fuel (a battery’s Wh rating is directly analogous to the fuel in your cars tank). Do you expect a 50% increase in range? That is the claim being made.

In a cart, loosing 60lbs will give a slight increase in range, but from my experience, not 50%. Do you see a significant range difference when carrying a 60lb child on the passenger seat next to you in your cart? And that would also add wind resistance which is not a factor when adding 60lbs under the seat.

For the record, I have no affiliation with any of the 4 competitors mentioned on UNO’s website. I have no product to sell, no business to promote and I only come to this forum to assist and hopefully educate others. I am more than qualified to do that in the electrical, electronic and science areas. I’ve given much more to this forum than I have taken away.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 08-12-2022, 05:50 PM   #48
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

I forgot to add and before anyone mentions it, the Laws of Physics are the same down here in Australia, they aren’t inverted just because we’re upside down.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #49
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
I forgot to add and before anyone mentions it, the Laws of Physics are the same down here in Australia, they aren’t inverted just because we’re upside down.
Oh yes you are. Toilet water swirls counter clockwise. That's just wrong.
PS: Got my uno battery. Ready to install. Thought I would just see how it works for myself
Old 09-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #50
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Oh yes you are. Toilet water swirls counter clockwise. That's just wrong.
PS: Got my uno battery. Ready to install. Thought I would just see how it works for myself
Have you played with the Uno yet? I'll be interested in what you think.....

Edit: .....Never mind, I see the other thread. Keep us posted.
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, lithium
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Other Lithium