lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2022, 01:06 PM   #1
Colwllce
Not Yet Wild

Default 420 swap won’t start HELP!!

So I was having trouble bogging a bit a couple weeks ago and I cleaned the carb, let the floats dry out, cleaned the k&n style filters and lightly oiled and put all back together and nothing. Took out the plug and cleaned it. Put it back and nothing. Took it back out and tightened up on the boot cause it shocked me 1 time and checked plug for spark. I’m getting it between the side or tip of the plug but not in the gap itself. Is that a bad plug?
Colwllce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: 420 swap won’t start HELP!!

Next step would be to replace the plug with something better than the original torch unit. I have used the NGKR BPR6ES and the Autolite AR3910X. Both worked fine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: 420 swap won’t start HELP!!

Basics:
1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Air
4. Compression

If you have all 4 and it won't run, it might be out of time, sometimes the flywheel key will shear from a backfire and that will keep it from starting.

Yes the spark should come at the tip, but how are you testing it? Are you just laying the plug on the engine and cranking it? If so, that's not an accurate test, although any spark is better than none. I use a spark tester, much safer and more accurate, and you won't get shocked.

You could have a bad spark plug wire. Sometimes on the clones the cheap wire will come loose from the metal clip inside the plug boot. I've had to redo those many times, so many that I bought tools for fixing plug wires.

You could have a cracked plug. The cheap chinese plugs are very brittle and a tiny hairline crack will interfere with performance. Get yourself an NGK equivalent and you'll do much better.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps