lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Default Rear Independent Suspension

Anyone have any pictures or ideas for a IRS for golf cart. I have been chasing left rear bearing issues since it's birth. I have to replace it ever 6 months wither it needs it or not. I'm chasing a IRS donor from a ATV or side x side.

My 94 Marathon has a Honda 350es motor and rear suspension. I had a Rhino donor but someone wanted it more than I did.

3" spacers and a lot of offset, I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atv cut.jpg (134.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2255.JPG (133.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3021.JPG (179.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3132.JPG (155.4 KB, 0 views)
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Rear Independent Suspension

The left rear wheel bearings SUCK in the old rancher 350's... a trend that continues even today. The Axle tube seal doesn't work particularly well, that bearing is always the first to go out. Problem is, once that bearing is gone, it puts excessive strain on the axle splines in the rear end and it will strip out the splines from the ring gear and the axle. I don't think I've ever bought a honda that the left rear bearing was still there... The right side is always fine because there's 2 large wheel bearings in the brake assembly (though those drums are always full of nastyness I can't even begin to describe... Funny how well that seal holds the stuff in there, but obviously not very good at keeping it out! )

If you're looking for IRS, I'd try and find an older Polaris Sportsman. They're very stout, driven by a drive shaft, and those older sportsmans are pretty cheap, especially if they're really ugly and/or have motor problems (and almost all of them had problems with the exhaust lobe on the cam shaft... but don't get me started there! Cheap bike and easy fix...) But the rear ends in them, seldom ever have problems and hold up to a lot of abuse.

I believe the sportsmans started in the mid 90's and have always had IRS all the way up to current models.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Anyone have any pictures or ideas for a IRS for golf cart. I have been chasing left rear bearing issues since it's birth. I have to replace it ever 6 months wither it needs it or not. I'm chasing a IRS donor from a ATV or side x side.

My 94 Marathon has a Honda 350es motor and rear suspension. I had a Rhino donor but someone wanted it more than I did.

3" spacers and a lot of offset, I know.
Just curious --- does it have a straight axle or a differential? If it has a diff - does it break the axle on the short side?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Just curious --- does it have a straight axle or a differential? If it has a diff - does it break the axle on the short side?
No. Honda 350 rear end is very basic. Pinion gear to ring gear. Ring gear is splined directly to a straight axle that turns both wheels.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
Unforgiven
Feral

Mixed Breed

Yeap, I did a short term fix. I replaced bearing and seal then welded the nut to the hub. This was a get-me-by for a 4th of July ride we had. I have a led on a IRS. Hopefully I will be replacing in a few weeks.
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts