lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
KOZ45
Gone Wild
 
KOZ45's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 338
Default Planning Engine Swap

Currently have the Fugi 350cc 11hp engine in my EzGo MPT 1200 (unsure the year, PO said 2008? )

I don't want anything crazy powerful but also want the swap to be worthwhile

With a 6" lift and larger tires, the 350cc motor could use some help

While the 350cc runs and works, I don't know how many hours or miles on it, but it came from a small farm and was covered in hay, so I am sure it's been worked

My initial thoughts was to look for a horizontal shaft 16hp to 18hp motor......v-twins

Easy 50% gain in power........will I be ok with either a 16 or 18 hp motor? It will ultimately boil down to purchase price

I just know I will want a spin on oil filter with either
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
KOZ45
Gone Wild
 
KOZ45's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 338
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Here's the cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1061692474.jpg (73.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2014188778.jpg (79.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-1438861511.jpg (78.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-2096740068.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-131693707.jpg (76.4 KB, 0 views)
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:29 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 11,180
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:31 AM   #4
panteramatt
Gone Wild
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 617
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
Why was the modded 16hp your favorite over the 23? I like mine but been thinking of buying a 23 or 31 briggs
panteramatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 12:38 PM   #5
doo dah
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 142
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Going from a stock 11hp engine to a Briggs 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will be a night and day difference. Big torque low in the rpm range is perfect for a golf cart, especially if you use it to pull a load like a small trailer or a mower or like to use it for work. In stock form with 23" tires the Briggs can rev safely to 4500 rpm without modification and will net a top speed around 30 mph. If you keep the factory governor on the engine you will top out at around 3800 rpm and 25 mph. Either way it's a big improvement over stock.

A 16hp engine isn't much different, but hey, might as well go for the 18hp version. Difference in stock form wouldn't be very noticable if compared side by side. So buy what you can get a good price on. Either one will work nicely on that cart.

Another thought is the HF670 Predator. Much different animal. It comes with a muffler that actually sounds really good. Much more power here. Same rev limiter and speed, just huge amount of torque!!! Cost will be similar. Quality is good. I did have some minor issues with it, the fuel pump is junk, fuel lines should be replaced, spark plugs are terrible. So with a few minor cheap upgrades I feel like it's a bargain for the amount of power you get. Keep in mind....it's a China copy engine.....quality isn't the same as the Japan made Vanguard.

I've used the following vtwin engines:
16hp Vanguard twin stock
23hp Vanguard twin stock
22hp HF670 Predator twin stock (my second favorite)
16hp Vanguard twin, rev kit, cam, 18hp carb (by far my favorite)
23hp Vanguard with 34mm Mikuni and full 1.5" pipe exhaust (third favorite)
Slonomo;
I have a 2013 TXT that I stretched to a 6 seater and plan was 670HF but they are so expensive now and hard to find used; will a smaller twin help my low end? I have 25" tires, 6" lift, etc...so cart is heavy but will run 28-30 on flat ground with just me but load 6 people coolers etc and it will barely hit 20 and forget about making it up a hill. Have GBoost springs, buttons, and HD belt so I have done everything I can for the Kawasaki but spending a grand for a 670 isn't in the cards right now.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 11,180
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Slonomo;
I have a 2013 TXT that I stretched to a 6 seater and plan was 670HF but they are so expensive now and hard to find used; will a smaller twin help my low end? I have 25" tires, 6" lift, etc...so cart is heavy but will run 28-30 on flat ground with just me but load 6 people coolers etc and it will barely hit 20 and forget about making it up a hill. Have GBoost springs, buttons, and HD belt so I have done everything I can for the Kawasaki but spending a grand for a 670 isn't in the cards right now.
Yes a 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will have about double the torque of a stock golf cart engine, and would be a vast improvement. With that said, 6 people and a cooler? That's a lot of weight. Not sure any of these options will turn that limo cart into a "hill climber". I'd definitely do some performance mods no matter what engine you choose. Remember, you get what you pay for. A $400 Harbor Freight clone engine isn't anywhere near a $1700 23hp Vanguard as far as power, longevity, etc. Spend the money once and do it right. For that big cart I'm thinking a big vtwin with Mikuni slide carb, cam, rev kit, port and polish heads at the bare minimum. You'll also want to hook up a one wire alternator to power that rig.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 01:08 PM   #7
doo dah
Getting Wild
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 142
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Yes a 16hp Vanguard Vtwin will have about double the torque of a stock golf cart engine, and would be a vast improvement. With that said, 6 people and a cooler? That's a lot of weight. Not sure any of these options will turn that limo cart into a "hill climber". I'd definitely do some performance mods no matter what engine you choose. Remember, you get what you pay for. A $400 Harbor Freight clone engine isn't anywhere near a $1700 23hp Vanguard as far as power, longevity, etc. Spend the money once and do it right. For that big cart I'm thinking a big vtwin with Mikuni slide carb, cam, rev kit, port and polish heads at the bare minimum. You'll also want to hook up a one wire alternator to power that rig.
The cart does some double duty between neighborhood runs which are extremely hilly, like 100 foot elevation changes, and beach transport. I am about to leave it at the beach and use it there 100% so hills aren't going to be an issue now. I'll work the wife up to spending the coin for a 670 I guess, based on your guidance the smaller vtwin would be better than the Kawasaki but possibly still not up to the task of 1,000 lbs or more.
doo dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
KOZ45
Gone Wild
 
KOZ45's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 338
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Good info thanks

I'll see what I can find , for what price

Is an 18hp motor not as common as a 16hp?
KOZ45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile
 
Dave in VA's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SW Virginia USA
Posts: 6,181
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=181205

23hp Vanguard...
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way
 
slonomo's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Medina, Ohio (NEOHIO)
Posts: 11,180
Default Re: Planning Engine Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Good find!!!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Planning out the dash... Electric EZGO
Planning on G14 Electric Yamaha
Planning a motor upgrade. NEED HELP Big Block Talk!
86 club car engine swap. What engine? Gas Club Car
Who's planning on modding their carts? Star and Fairplay


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.