lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #11
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Randomly Stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Remove the spark plug and put it back in the wire. Hold the threads against a bolt or something metal on the motor. Hit the pedal and spin the engine.

Bright blue spark is good
White is marginal
Yellow is no good at all
If I had to pick one I'd say it was more white than anything else. It's hard to distinguish between the three.

This morning I obviously checked it with a new plug to come to this conclusion. The cart started right up, I ran it around maybe half a mile checking trail cams and then parked it. No problem.

I've ordered a new plug wire that should be here next week sometime. Until then I'll keep this thread active when I have any further developments.

Thanks for your help, all of you!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2022, 12:46 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’d make sure to only sue a NGK spark plug. I believe the 3pg uses a BPR4HS

If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years, anything besides NGK just doesn’t work well in these little engines.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 09:10 PM   #13
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well I'm going to put an end to this thread. After all the things I have done to correct this I do believe it was my coil wire this whole time that was giving me problems. I'm not 100% sure but ever since I've replaced it I haven't had any problems. It starts and runs every time without stopping.

I don't understand why it was showing I was getting spark when I tested the plug with the old wire but regardless a new wire has seemed to solve the problem I've had for like 3 months. The only thing I can think of is that the insulation on the wire was letting the spark bleed through and was grounding itself out on the engine some way. Whether it was that or something else who knows. Just a guess on my part.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the feedback, we like feedback in here but sadly not everyone who stops by for help gives it to us. It's helpful for all to learn by, glad you got it running successfully. Sounds like you found the issue, contrary to what some peeps believe a coil wire (or any wire) can go bad with time. Hope it stays fixed
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsworth View Post
Well I'm going to put an end to this thread. After all the things I have done to correct this I do believe it was my coil wire this whole time that was giving me problems. I'm not 100% sure but ever since I've replaced it I haven't had any problems. It starts and runs every time without stopping.

I don't understand why it was showing I was getting spark when I tested the plug with the old wire but regardless a new wire has seemed to solve the problem I've had for like 3 months. The only thing I can think of is that the insulation on the wire was letting the spark bleed through and was grounding itself out on the engine some way. Whether it was that or something else who knows. Just a guess on my part.

Thanks again for all the help/suggestions!

This absolutely can happen. I’ve had old club cars with the kf82 do the same thing. If you run the engine in a dark shop you can often see the sparks arcing through the insulation and usually zapping the heat shields or head.

Spark plug wire on a golf cart isn’t any different than one on a car. They age, dry, crack, and arc out. It used to be a common maintenance item to replace the spark plug wires in a car every so many years.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO