lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
bobbydc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Talking 1992 Club Car Newbie

Hi all, new to the forums... I just recently got my hands on a Electric Club Car (I think a '92 model) # is A9142 266746. I have sooo many questions, even after searching around the forums for the last few days. I'm sure I'll get a few "hey dummy, search the forums" type responses and that's ok too... ;) but I figured this might be a good place to at least get started in the right direction so here it is:

(Power)
I just got it Sunday, it has been sitting up for about 2 or 3 years covered in a shed, and I finally talked the owners out of it, but it's actually in pretty good shape, just needs a little TLC. Naturally it has 6 Trojan 105's and all are BAD, so I'm trying to find any way around spending mega bucks just to get it going. I have so many things I wanna do but now I see just to get started, it's gonna cost me a ton in batteries. Before I go and buy the wrong batteries, I do have another question. Being that I have 6 Trojan 105's (assuming 6v a piece) I think this means my cart is a 36 volt?

Should I buy the exact same size batteries again? (will any other size batteries make it faster/slower?)

Should I stick with 36 or go to 48? Is the only reason to move up to 48 to get a 48v motor and be faster? Dumb question? Not sure if that's even possible or better??

(Charger)
Also, I noticed that the charger doesn't even kick on when I first tried to charge. After a little browsing in this "tower of knowledge" of a forum I read that the charger requires a certain amount of voltage to show up on the batteries before it will kick on. Is that true and if so, how much voltage?

(Seats)
I also see most all of the carts have the same "flip down" type rear seats (that go for about 300 in most cases), does anyone have drawings or anything for a custom do it yourself back seat?)

(Lift)
Is the going rate for lifts in the $300 range?

Thanks in advance for any info! I love this forum, many helpful (and knowledgeable) people. Sorry so many questions, but I can see this is going to be a long (AND expensive) project.... -BC
bobbydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
chevyrules05
A-DMIN

Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Club Car Newbie

1991, and you can update to to 48v since you already need new batteries
chevyrules05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you,ll need to charge 2 batteries at a time with a 12 volt charger to bring them up but 1st check water and add distilled if they are bone dry chances are even after charging they will need replaced..........but try with the 12 volt bring them up then put cart charger on them if it comes on leave till it shuts off by itself..........after that leave it sit 1/2 and than do voltage reading from each battery and than load test............make sure cables and batt. terminals are clean and tight.......if your unsure about cables replace them...............lift should set you back 350 or so fror a jakes best they make esay to install but lets get it running 1st...................even if you upgrade to 48 volts you can usae your 36 volt motor and may be happier with it depending on usage................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
bobbydc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
you,ll need to charge 2 batteries at a time with a 12 volt charger to bring them up but 1st check water and add distilled if they are bone dry chances are even after charging they will need replaced..........but try with the 12 volt bring them up then put cart charger on them if it comes on leave till it shuts off by itself..........after that leave it sit 1/2 and than do voltage reading from each battery and than load test............make sure cables and batt. terminals are clean and tight.......if your unsure about cables replace them...............lift should set you back 350 or so fror a jakes best they make esay to install but lets get it running 1st...................even if you upgrade to 48 volts you can usae your 36 volt motor and may be happier with it depending on usage................................

What is the benefit for mine if I go 48v worth of batteries and don't change motor? and what batteies would I get?
Six 8v batteries?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

yes you,ll need 6 eight volt batts, and benefits very by usage so it all depends on you and the driving habits....................................
Old 10-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #6
bobbydc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

More power? Longer drive time? I guess that's what I mean. Most of the time will be just cruising around the neighborhood and such, but I know the kid in me will do plenty rough riding too if you know what I mean. I do have quite a heavy foot... Don't get me wrong, I will spend much time just cruising with my kids and such, but that don't mean I don't want to haul a$$ every chance I get. If I step up to 6 eight volts, do i have to change out anything else in the electrical system or will it all work fine on 48? So is it a noticeable difference?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you,ll need a 48 volt controller, HD 48 volt solenoid, HD 48 volt F&R switch and i,d go with all 4 gage cables not just battery cables, there are a few other things, charger and what i can,t think of others will jump in and add to it...........................................
Old 10-22-2008, 10:44 PM   #8
bobbydc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

yeahhhh... I think I better just worry about getting the thing running for now, LOL. I'm gonna go with the voltage I have for now I think, I already have enough on the list without adding all that. Thank you fir the info though! ;)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car