lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #1
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default State of Charge meter keeps going down

Hello,
A few days ago I installed a digital state of charge meter on my 48v Club Car Precedent, and initially it seemed to be working fine.
I drove my cart for a few hours and drained the battery 1-2 bars (about 80% battery) according to the meter, so I didn't charge my cart that night.
The next day, I turned the key and it was still at the ~80% mark.
I again used my cart for a few hours and drained it down to ~50%.
That night I charged the cart using my normal procedure- key off, cart in Tow, plug in charger.
The next day I turned the key and the meter read ~50%. I had read in the instructions that the meter might take a few minutes to register the correct reading, so I ignored it and drove for almost and entire day, yet the meter didn't move up or down.

Today I charged the cart in Run and with they key on (figuring maybe the meter would see the voltage was rising and go up), yet the meter STILL won't budge from ~50%.
It seems like the meter only goes down.
Some of you will probably say "your batteries are old" or "your charger isn't working" but my battery pack is currently at 55v, yet the meter is still at the 50% mark.

The Precedent is pre-wired for a SOC meter, so I'm using the OEM wiring. The only addition I made was I hooked the third prong on the meter up to my key switch (according to the instructions) so it operates with the key.
Do I have a bad meter or am I improperly operating the meter?
graysonk95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: State of Charge meter keeps going down

Problem solved!

For anyone else having this problem with their digital SOC meter:
While the cart is charging, turn the key ON, once the meter lights up toggle the cart between RUN and TOW. The meter will do a brief test of all of the LEDs, then display the actual voltage.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Don't mess around with those junk bar style meters, get a Scottyb realtime voltage meter. They are much more useful. I installed one this spring, and should have done it sooner!
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #4
graysonk95
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I looked at buying one of those, and they seem great, but I really wasn't willing to pay that much.
I got my "junk" meter for like $20, so I'm not complaining.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've been told you should never move the " tow - run " while the cart is charging! Some cart's manuals even say to have the switch in the " tow " position before charging the cart! Now I'm no expert on Club Car, so I'd wait and see if others will chime in on this.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
scottginfla
72 volt torque monster

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by graysonk95 View Post
Problem solved!

For anyone else having this problem with their digital SOC meter:
While the cart is charging, turn the key ON, once the meter lights up toggle the cart between RUN and TOW. The meter will do a brief test of all of the LEDs, then display the actual voltage.
You still have a problem if you are having to do this just to make you meter work.
scottginfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yeah, you don't need to flip to tow before you charge. Look at the label next to the switch. Only flip to tow for maintenance, extended storage, and of course, towing.
I would test your leads for the meter. See what voltages you are getting using your DVM.
Your bar meter may be faulty...
Old 08-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
sunoco
STEALTH 4X4

Club Car

Those bar meters are about as useful as aids...

Get a digital and never wonder again!
sunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you have a curtis 10 led meter (the sticker on the back of the meter will tell you the brand and model number), there are three things you should know about it.
1- it does not increase for "partial" recharges. Only full recharges.
2- it needs to see a preset peak voltage during the recharge cycle to reset. many are 56.4v, but there are many models. You can decode the model from the included paperwork.
3- resetting the tow switch removes power from the meter, resetting it to full, even if the batteries are not full. Be careful using the tow switch for resetting the meter.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If you have a curtis 10 led meter (the sticker on the back of the meter will tell you the brand and model number), there are three things you should know about it.
1- it does not increase for "partial" recharges. Only full recharges.
2- it needs to see a preset peak voltage during the recharge cycle to reset. many are 56.4v, but there are many models. You can decode the model from the included paperwork.
3- resetting the tow switch removes power from the meter, resetting it to full, even if the batteries are not full. Be careful using the tow switch for resetting the meter.
Wow, that sucks.
I would recommend to anyone to just get a digital real time meter.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car