lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
garye5007
Not Yet Wild

Default newbe questions charging, starting

I just have a couple of questions about my dads G9 as i don't have a manuel yet,
do these things normally idle at a stop, or always shut down when you completely let off gas?
should the battery charge while running? how do i check if it is?
do they always take off when starting? (he is getting used to the brake and sometimes forgets (he's 90).
And lastly are the manuals on CD on ebay ok?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Gary
garye5007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: newbe questions charging, starting

Press the gas pedal the cart will start and run, let off the gas pedal the cart will stop running. When the cart is running the starter/generator will charge the battery if it’s working properly. I don’t know if the manuals on ebay are any good or not.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

They do not idle at stop. The pedal switch is what activates it and then kills the engine. The battery charges while it is running. The cart is equiped with a starter/generator. You can chech your voltage at the battery. These rarely go bad unless completely wore out or damaged. It doesn't take but a few hits of the gas pedal to completely drain a battery if the starter/generator is not charging. The carts are designed so the belt will slip a little when starting but will take off as soon as the drive clutch on the engine engages. G9's seem to take right off a little quicker than any other model, in my opinion and usually don't need use of the choke. Not sure about the manuals on ebay. We have quite a bit of info. here. Check out the 'stick' threads at the top of this section: Gas Yamaha.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
garye5007
Not Yet Wild

thanks alot for your responses!
Gary
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by garye5007 View Post
thanks alot for your responses!
Gary
Gary....Glad to hear you bought the car for your dad! No they don't idle, thats what makes them so easy on gas and won't over heat. I can remember my first time driving a "stick shift car", (the brake/the clutch/the gas/the steering) man I just about put it into a ditch! But I learned! My suggestion would be to make your dad comfortable with it (so he will use it). Maybe in a very wide open flat area. Have him push on the upper part of the brake pedal, this "locks" the parking brake. Then if he pushes on the accelerator pedal (if all is in correct adjustment) it will automaticly release the brake pedal and the engine will start to "turn over" as he applies the "gas pedal" he can go as slow or fast as he wants. If it ever gets to fast for him...release the accelerator pedal (this will stop the engine from running) and just apply the brakes to stop. You can even put the shifter lever half way between forward and reverse (on flat area) and apply the brake and start and run the car. (I am not trying to be incensative in any way!!!!) I truly want you dad to feel comfortable using his new toy, not only to get around , but to get around safetly. If I affended you or anyone else with this advise, I apoligize now. Good Luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM   #6
Boris
DELETED

Default Re: newbe questions charging, starting ..... and older riders

Hey Gary,
Hows your Dad coming along with the cart. I'd like to follow his progress in this thread. I'm going to be putting mine on an electric EZGO today probably. My Pop recently turned 78 with 6 bypasses an artificial valve and bi-lateral knee replacement, but when he drives one around, much less even rides on one he giggles like a school-girl ......... He really enjoys doing it.

I figured this might be a pretty good forum to bounce ideas off of and get some do's and don'ts from the more experienced cart-ers on stuff like seat-belts and working governors and such. How about it old timers? ......
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
garye5007
Not Yet Wild

well,
he is still getting used to it. we had to get a new battery cause the one that came with it was ng. but it is running pretty good! he uses it quite a bit. i'd like to get him a top for it. he even bought a small shed to keep it in (hasn't been delivered yet) its gonna be tight. thanks for your interest! i'll try to get a pic of him driving it and post!
Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by garye5007 View Post
well,
he is still getting used to it. we had to get a new battery cause the one that came with it was ng. but it is running pretty good! he uses it quite a bit. i'd like to get him a top for it. he even bought a small shed to keep it in (hasn't been delivered yet) its gonna be tight. thanks for your interest! i'll try to get a pic of him driving it and post!
That would be fantastic !!! I can't wait to see them! The more he uses it..the more he'll like it (I hope). Thanks for the post...I have a grin from ear to ear from reading this! Thanks Later Dave
Old 05-22-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: newbe questions charging, starting ..... and older riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Hey Gary,
Hows your Dad coming along with the cart. I'd like to follow his progress in this thread. I'm going to be putting mine on an electric EZGO today probably. My Pop recently turned 78 with 6 bypasses an artificial valve and bi-lateral knee replacement, but when he drives one around, much less even rides on one he giggles like a school-girl ......... He really enjoys doing it.

I figured this might be a pretty good forum to bounce ideas off of and get some do's and don'ts from the more experienced cart-ers on stuff like seat-belts and working governors and such. How about it old timers? ......
Boris...Glad to hear your dad likes his "new ride"! "Giggles like a school girl"? ....PRICELESS !!! I ,personally would not install seat belts..I really feel it would be an accident waiting to happen. Your "Pops" ride...an electric Ezgo...no govenor (like gas cars) should run 10 to 12 mph stock. Should be plenty for him , unless he's (filling his "bucket list"). Shure would like to see a picture! Thank you very much for posting. Later Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha