lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Aaaaargh - a NEW problem w/ starting ...

I'll make this brief (for now) - the cart ran fine, then just died. A new coil seemed to solve the problem for a day or two, now I'm getting a good spark *sometimes* and a weak or nonexistant spark other times ... the only thing that seems to solve it is putting a charger on the battery set to "start/boost" - at that point she turns over like a maniac and fires up fine.

any ideas? Regulator? Igniter? anything? She's a 1988 2-stroke Marathon. Thanks!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Aaaaargh - a NEW problem w/ starting ...

I'm a Cart rookie but a long time shade tree mechanic...so your mileage may vary

If it is firing up fine with a battery charger in boost mode then I'd have to think the battery is weak. Maybe it's not charging correctly? How are the battery cables? My 89 had old and weak #6 cables and I replaced them with #2 (overkill I know but heck--2 foot cables are cheap enough!)

Silly question maybe but is the battery new? Have you swapped in a different battery? if you don't have one that will fit, jack up the rear wheels off the ground and sit a known good battery next to it on a chair or something and connect it up and see what's what.

Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

the battery is only a couple of weeks old, there IS another issue though, the battery is at 12.8v but there's only 10.2 to the coil with the starter engaged ... I thought maybe weak pulsar but maybe something else in the chain isn't allowing the pulsar to get enough juice either?

(and btw, I'm also a shadetree at best, musician by trade :)
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Pocono Country Boy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll have to pass on this and hope that someone else can help you get this figured out. I will be interested to see what other suggestions you get on how to resolve this issue.

Good Luck!
Pocono Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the ideas anyhow, PB - man, this thing has been a trip so far (I bought it non-running) ... Coil (twice) carb teardown, etc (twice) BBQ muffler (once, but enough fun I may do it again someday just because it's a great excuse for an afternoon bonfire and a beer or three) ... and that's not counting the teardown/repaint, lift kit/wheels, new seats, etc ... I'm getting to where I just want a running cart, that's all (at least one that runs for more than a day or two before I fix something that *seems* to work for a day or so and then turns out to not be the problem ...)

A new one too (as of about 10 min ago) - now it seems to be sparking just fine (at least with the plug grounded against the engine) BUT it won't pop, even with the dreaded starting fluid ... I'm giving up for tonight but tomorrow I'm going to test the compression again (it has been around 140-145 any other time I've checked it) and maybe check the reed valves, just for grins (the way I see it, the higher voltage with the boost charger is turning it over a LOT faster, so maybe the higher RPM's are overcoming some weak point in the vacum chain - if the reeds aren't opening, then of course even starting fluid couldn't get in there, the way I see it)

if anyone needs me, I'll be at the fridge or on the couch, repeating as neccessary!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO