lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Default How hot does this thing get?

After reading the instruction I am a bit worried about how much heat this transformer will put out. It says mount to a metal frame but it fits so perfectly right here. I know a few of you have this unit how hot does it get do I need to cut a metal plate to back it or is it fine to mount straight to the tub

ImplantLabTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How hot does this thing get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplantLabTech View Post
After reading the instruction I am a bit worried about how much heat this transformer will put out. It says mount to a metal frame but it fits so perfectly right here. I know a few of you have this unit how hot does it get do I need to cut a metal plate to back it or is it fine to mount straight to the tub?

IMG]https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/picture.php?albumid=4838&pictureid=30716[/IMG]
I can't see the photo, but if it is the reducer, it never gets above 140 degrees or so. Mounting on plastic will be fine.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Missed a bracket

kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Thanks guys, the last smaller unit was mounted outside the tub exposed to the elements a bit more I know these things are supposedly dust and somewhat waterproof, I just thought this was a better place for the new one.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Ah, I see it now!

Is that a reducer next to the battery? Usually they have cooling fins on them. Regardless, I would mount it to the plastic tub.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
LouBinWNC
Not Yet Wild

I put it in front because I couldn’t get a good answer… it was simple to run the 12v back to that area for a fuse box.
LouBinWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It depends how much you use it.
If you just need to run a set of Led head/taillights, you’ll be pulling about 2-3 amps from it and it will never even get warm.
If you want it for 2 big light bars plus headlights, plus bumpin Stereo system, and some underglow, and a fan, and usb chargers… now you’re gonna be running 15-25 amps though it and it’s gonna make some heat.

The way you have it mounted, it will likely be fine since it can get airflow across both sides. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

There is a spot on the front suspension crossmember above the shocks where the original reducer mounts to a metal plate and it can easily be mounted there, so you don’t need to fabricate anything.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:40 AM   #8
ImplantLabTech
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
There is a spot on the front suspension crossmember above the shocks where the original reducer mounts to a metal plate and it can easily be mounted there, so you don’t need to fabricate anything.
Thanks, I have my battery charger mounted in that area up front, I moved forward with the install in this area, some of the stupid things I have done is not thinking about how I have a bunch of this stuff mounted for the possibility of having to replace in the future, With the body off and nothing in the way after I did a bang up job of mounting through the bucket I started to realize that **** I'll never be able to get to the double nutted studs. I mounted to the transformer #dumbass

I hate doing things stupid but at least I realized it before the body went on.

I must be the slowest mechanic on the planet
Old 11-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #9
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImplantLabTech View Post
Thanks, I have my battery charger mounted in that area up front, I moved forward with the install in this area, some of the stupid things I have done is not thinking about how I have a bunch of this stuff mounted for the possibility of having to replace in the future, With the body off and nothing in the way after I did a bang up job of mounting through the bucket I started to realize that **** I'll never be able to get to the double nutted studs. I mounted to the transformer #dumbass

I hate doing things stupid but at least I realized it before the body went on.

I must be the slowest mechanic on the planet
Believe me, we've all done this! At least you caught it before it was finished. I often wasn't that lucky.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The good thing about the Precedent based carts is as long as you have the right tools and have done it before so you know where all the fasteners are, removing the entire body can be done in less than 5 minutes. Add a few minutes extra if you have to deal with a rear seat, but even that is not a major hold-up, and most seat kits you don’t even have to do anything to be able to squeeze the body past to take it off.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car