lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2021, 02:22 PM   #1
kylander
Not Yet Wild

Question Issues wiring turn signal side mirrors

I purchased and installed the turn signal side mirrors from the Shared List of Accessories. I'm struggling to get them wired correctly. I've identified the right and left turn signals and added the wire taps, but can't get them to work. Has anyone been able to successfully get these installed? Any tips?

I'm including a photo of my attempt on the right turn signal. The brown and orange wires are come from the turn signal, the black and red wires are coming from the mirror. They don't work with red/orange, black/brown, either.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/08FX...fzOjDWm3VCtjVg
kylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #2
robertmII
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Issues wiring turn signal side mirrors

Have you tried a multimeter to see which wire is getting power when the blinker is activated? That would allow you to understand which is the correct wire.

There is also this how to, you've likely already seen it though:

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ghlight=mirror
robertmII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
kylander
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: Issues wiring turn signal side mirrors

Thanks for posting the how to. I completely missed that.
kylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

One thing that can go wrong, however stupid, is when you insert those spade ends (black & red wires in your picture), sometimes the metal spade gets slightly bent to one side or the other and doesn't get inserted into the slot.

So you may have them plugged in and snapped on, but the little metal tab may be off to the side, so no contact made.

Also, the brown/orange wires...I can't remember the colors for sure, but confirm those are actually the turn signal wires. You can easily verify this by turning the cart on, putting the signal on, then unplugging that little black connector and if your turn signal goes out, then you know you're on the right wires.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 09:09 AM   #5
wmalford
Not Yet Wild

Atrains suggestion is a good first step. To get access to the correct wires for splicing, i found it easiest to remove the front bumber on my I40 and work from under the front of the cart rather than reaching through the dash. Also, I've had better success with these connections for splicing into wires - Search Amazon for QWORK 3 Wire Connectors
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71VR2aZAq5S._SL1500_.jpg (162.2 KB, 0 views)
wmalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 11:03 PM   #6
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmalford View Post
Atrains suggestion is a good first step. To get access to the correct wires for splicing, i found it easiest to remove the front bumber on my I40 and work from under the front of the cart rather than reaching through the dash. Also, I've had better success with these connections for splicing into wires - Search Amazon for QWORK 3 Wire Connectors
What is step 4 in this picture?? It's like "step 4, magic" lol.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
wmalford
Not Yet Wild

Step 4 is a poor picture of depressing the blue "button" to crimp the wires. Their literature refers to a crimping tool - I just use a pair of channel lock pliers.
wmalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:56 PM   #8
ZayneIcon
Not Yet Wild

Be careful with the Qwork- it didn't work (pun not intended) for me. When I checked the connector did not splice/ cut the insulation on the wires. I had to do it the old fashion way and the signals worked.
ZayneIcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:40 PM   #9
JRL
Gone Wild

You can easily verify supply/hots vs grounds with a cheap 12vdc automotive stick light tester.
Use a known good ground and probe for the 'flashing' signal feed as you go.
It'll also allow piercing a wire for test, and downstream for bad connections. Things like scotch kicks are trash. Once the wires are sorted out, use heatshrink butt splicers. Very durable and trouble free id sealed up properly.
If shrinking around 2 wires, a bit of liquid 'lectric tape will seal them nicely.
Windshield frames are typically be grounded...if so, saves running a ground wire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon