lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default Relay or not

I'm wiring up a 12v converter to my 42v western (same as ezgo) golf cart. The 200 amp converter has 4 wires ,2 plus and minus input and 2 plus and minus output. I will also be using a fuse block with a ground. My problem is that I want to be able to turn the converter off and on with the key switch,but I'm not sure how to wire this up and if I need a relay between the key switch and converter(is so,what one do I buy). If someone could show me a simple wiring diagram I would feel safe about wiring this up.
devybob

devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Relay or not

Johnnieb had a great idea on an earlier post to solve this very problem . Purchase a new HD solenoid to power the cart's propulsion system, then use the old existing solenoid heavy contacts to apply power to the converter. The old solenoid control coil could then be connected and powered by the key switch. Key on, converter on. Hope this helps - RAY

P.S. - I'm sure he'll be along to help with the correct wiring.

Last edited by bigstik40; 12-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: corrected
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:52 AM   #3
devybob
Gone Wild

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing,I want to know if I need a relay between the key switch and the new voltage reducer.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I used an inexpensive Club Car 48v charger relay, It will work for your 42 volt cart also.
The charger relay has 4 terminals. When ever power is present on the trigger pair the other pair have continuity. I simply interrupted the + side of the reducer's supply with the relay. IT is a must have as the reducers draw power all the time. You could also do it with a solenoid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5310web.jpg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
devybob
Gone Wild

Thanks scottyb, I can get the relay but could you tell me where each wire goes, I'm a little confused about the exact wiring. Post #1 on relay to reducer,Post #2 to key switch ect,ect.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Johnnieb had a great idea on an earlier post to solve this very problem . Purchase a new HD solenoid to power the cart's propulsion system, then use the old existing solenoid heavy contacts to apply power to the converter. The old solenoid control coil could then be connected and powered by the key switch. Key on, converter on. Hope this helps - RAY

P.S. - I'm sure he'll be along to help with the correct wiring.
Basically a solenoid is a relay, just a big one! It would work perfectly for your intended purpose!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
devybob
Gone Wild

What voltage do I need to go to the relay.Must it be 12v or can I use 42v because it's easiser to get 42v from the key switch.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It is easiest to buy a relay rated for your voltage operating system.

... I'm sure you could use a 12 or 24 volt relay so long as you supplied the proper activation circuit voltage and the switch bridge was rated for the amperage used by the reducer which again is why I suggested a simple 48v charger relay. It will work fine with the 42v key switch power and withstand the amperage draw by the reducer.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
devybob
Gone Wild

Thanks, that's what I ordered.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
TX-AMC
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Relay or not

scottyb- will you post a wiring diagram for this? I think I know where all the wires go, but being new to carts, I want to make sure before I fry something expensive. Thanks
TX-AMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO