lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
aaronbradford
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 marathon crank case question

I have inserted newparts, used make a gasket and tightened. I don't have a torque wrench so is it possible to tighten these too tight? I didn't crank on them hard, but want to make sure there won't be problems if I got them a little extra tight.

Thanks,
A
aaronbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: 1987 marathon crank case question

Welcome to the forum aaronbradford......................

One of the gasoline guys should be along any time.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

As long as it's tight enough so it doesn't come loose. The case is not as critical as the cylinder and head... what are you going to do about those... guess
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
Marathon Matt
Gone Wild

Club Car

You should be fine, the cases do not require a gasket if I remember correctly (as long as the mating surfaces are flat and undamaged. Once you have your top end assembled and tighted down (I dont know the specs, and when I reassembled mine last time I just ensured that I EVENLY applied load to each bolt by criss crossing and tightening in small increments) you should at least check the case for seal by blowing smoke into the case pressure hole (used to run your fuel pump). If you do not see smoke escaping from any sealed surfaces or from your center case seal, you are probably good to go. Then check your cylinder pressure using a gauge and look for about 120psi. If you really want to make sure everything is in perfect condition do a case pressure test by sealing the exhaust port and inserting a plug and gauge in the intake, put the piston at bottom dead center and pressurize the engine to about 10psi, observe the gauge and look for any leak down, 2-3psi over 8-10minutes is acceptable and considered near perfect. If you do all this and ensure that the engine is completely sealed you now have a SOLID base for begining to adjust your carb jettings for optimal fuel mixture that wont have you chasing your tail due to a leaky engine.
Marathon Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
aaronbradford
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info!!!
aaronbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO