lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
Robgvx
Not Yet Wild

Default Newbie with questions about 2002 Gas Buggy

Hi Gentlemen (and ladies)

I have a 2002 Gas powered Yamaha buggy. A few problems with it.

1. When I press the gas pedal to start there seems to be a delay before the starter motor turns over the engine. 2 to 3 seconds I'd say. Almost like a flat battery, but it's been like this for a couple of years and never given out on me.

2. Brake pedal out of adjustment.

3. Choke doesn't stay out, and even pulled out fully it doesn't seems to do anything. Motor struggles to start up when cold.

2 and 3 I know are simple adjustments. Sorry if this info is already on this site but being a newbie I'm not sure where to look.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob
Robgvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Default Re: Newbie with questions about 2002 Gas Buggy

Slow to engage the starter sounds like dirty connection somewhere: battery, pedal switch, solenoid, starter/generator, etc...
Brake pedal adjustment is easy: 10mm nut adjustment on main brake cable coming off the pedal before it splits.
Choke not staying out. I've never really gave it much thought but none of mine have ever stayed out. I just pull mine until it starts and then let go.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Robgvx
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply.

Brake now adjusted. Thanks.

Choke stays out if I twist the knob. Is this how it should be? Seems like when fully pulled out it's not actually opening the choke on the carb. Willl pull air filter box and see if there's adjustment there.

Regarding the slow engagement of the starter, with the seat off and in neutral I can see that there is a wide belt around what I guess is a centrifugal clutch. When engaging properly that wide belt spins with the shaft and pulley and the cone shaped part move towards the belt and engine. That belt seems very loose though and when I reproduced the problem I'm having it seemed like the shaft was spinning but the wide belt was not engaging. Is there an adjustment for this belt and how loose should it be?

Many thanks

Rob
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
Robgvx
Not Yet Wild

OK, just had another look and I can see that the wide belt is, I guess, supposed to be loose. This the one from the main engine/clutch shaft to the gearbox. As the engine speeds up the centrifugal clutch cone moves in and drives the belt. The faster the engine speed the more the belt rides up the clutch 'cone' and hence the variable gearing. Cool.

The thinner belt from the starter motor to the pulley wheel on the main shaft is tight.

So, maybe it is a weak/dirty micro switch. Where is the micro switch that tells the starter motor to operate? Is it the one below the gas pedal? Are they serviceable? Easily replaceable?

Also, is there a thread here about removing the engine governer for more power?

Thanks

Rob
Old 05-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The choke shouldnt stay out unless your are holding it. The sliding rod is round with a flat sideand so the hole it slides thru, so by turning it you will be jamming the rod against the housing. Pull the air cleaner off and make sure the choke is moving on the carb.

The wide belt is your drive belt and it is designed to get tighter as the RPM gets higher.

When you say slow to start what do you mean.
Motor does nothing? or
Motor turns over but not running? or
Motor running but cart is not going anywhere?
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

if you push down on the peddle and it take 2 to 3 seconds to start. it means your brushes are worn in the starter you can buy new brushes to fix it. you can take out the inspection rubber covers on the end of the starter to check them there's a line on them if there worn to the line it means time to get new ones.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
Robgvx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
if you push down on the peddle and it take 2 to 3 seconds to start. it means your brushes are worn in the starter you can buy new brushes to fix it. you can take out the inspection rubber covers on the end of the starter to check them there's a line on them if there worn to the line it means time to get new ones.
Thanks for the tip about the brushes. I've pulled the rubber covers but don't really know what I'm looking at. Would anybody have any photos showing where the wear marks are, and how to replace them?

Many thanks

Rob
Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #8
Robgvx
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundpounder View Post
Update for you.

Guy I bought the buggy off diagnosed the problem as sticky, gummed up brushes. Pulled the starter motor and disassembled the brushes. Brushes were fine as far as wear limit, but indeed dirty. Cleaned everything and put back together and problem now gone.

Many thanks

Rob
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha