lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default TXT Stopped Working

Hello, I have a 99 TXT, 36v,Sepex with DCS, Yesterday while driving, I stopped for a few seconds and went to go again and nothing, I lifted the seat and there was that wonderful electrical burning smell, although not real strong, I am a mechanical person, but am weak with electrical, I have 38.6 volts at my batteries, On my volt meter I put the - on the B- side of batteries and the + on the B+ on the Curtis controller, no voltage there, I took off the diode/resistor board from the solenoid and powered the solenoid and that does click and is open and closed ( make sense?).
Also while looking around I did find 2 pinched and bare wires from the throttle wires that look like it may have grounded out on the frame from a bolt on the controller cover.
I downloaded part of a EZGO Manual Section E electronic speed control DCS on page E-5 DCS troubleshooting sequence
#1 No Voltage
#2 38.5v
#3 38.5v
#4 38.5v with key on, 0.00 with key off
#5 38.5
#6 .2
#7 0.00

On page E-8 top left Fig. E-11 batteries not connected and switch on tow, no voltage. Batteries connected, switch on run 38.5v.
same page, Fig E-12 volt meter is at .3
Any and all help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Hope this makes sense to you guys that know what your doing

Thank You,
Brian

Last edited by bward; 08-16-2011 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: added more information
bward is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT Stopped Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by bward View Post
Hello, I have a 99 TXT, 36v,Sepex with DCS, Yesterday while driving, I stopped for a few seconds and went to go again and nothing, I lifted the seat and there was that wonderful electrical burning smell, although not real strong, I am a mechanical person, but am weak with electrical, I have 38.6 volts at my batteries, On my volt meter I put the - on the B- side of batteries and the + on the B+ on the Curtis controller, no voltage there, I took off the diode/resistor board from the solenoid and powered the solenoid and that does click and is open and closed ( make sense?).
Also while looking around I did find 2 pinched and bare wires from the throttle wires that look like it may have grounded out on the frame from a bolt on the controller cover.
I downloaded part of a EZGO Manual Section E electronic speed control DCS on page E-5 DCS troubleshooting sequence
#1 No Voltage

#2 38.5v
#3 38.5v
#4 38.5v with key on, 0.00 with key off
#5 38.5
#6 .2
#7 0.00

On page E-8 top left Fig. E-11 batteries not connected and switch on tow, no voltage. Batteries connected, switch on run 38.5v.
same page, Fig E-12 volt meter is at .3
Any and all help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Hope this makes sense to you guys that know what your doing

Thank You,
Brian
If you got No Voltage at Step# 1, you could not have gotten any voltages in any of the subsequent steps.
However in the text you stated you had 38.6v at your battery. This is the "Reference" voltage step #1 is asking for.
Then you stated "On my volt meter I put the - on the B- side of batteries and the + on the B+ on the Curtis controller, no voltage there"
At that point the flow chart tells you to fix the wiring problem between the Battery B+ and the Solenoid B+, but you removed the Diode/Resistor board and started doing other things.
The first step that says to turn the key on is #7, yet in step #4 you give readings with key off and key on.

The troubleshooting chart you referenced (Starting on page E-5) is a decision tree. You set up conditions as described, make the measurement as described and then go the box the reading you get points to.
In most instances it is an either/or decision. Either you get a certain reading and go to the box below, or you don't get that reading and you go to the box to the right. In all cases, just follow the arrow/line the reading you get tells you to follow and you'll most likely find the problem.

If you start doing things different from what is instructed or in a different sequence, your could easily end up chasing your tale for a while.

The cart was running, so we know it works and something failed. The problem ought to be fairly easy to find and it might be an inexpensive to fix, but it could be costly if something major went bye-bye.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB for the response,So No where other than step seven does it say key on or off, So Im guessing the key should be off. Im going to go out and try this over again, all steps with key off.
My page that im looking at is not a tree just a list
Maybe i have the wrong check list?
If it is a simple low cost solution great, if not Im going to put in a new controller motor etc. I need more torque anyhow here in the mountains,
I'll post what I find out,
Thanks again JohnnieB
Brian
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, I'm at the cart now and I have 0 volts at positive side of controller B+, but I do have 38 v at pin 10 of the controller, Ive traced wires looking for a short or worn wire all looks ok.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you say you were working from a list rather than a tree, my comments don't apply. Your answers may have been correct for a list, but didn't make sense to me because I was looking at the Troubleshooting Tree starting on Page E-5. My Bad

If you haven't already, go to the Stickies at the top of the Electric EZGO forum, one menu level up from where we are now, open the bottom one and download the service manual. (And all the rest that apply, they do come in handy.)

Anyways, the Troubleshooting Tree starts on Page E-4 and the bold print above the box tells you the conditions (Key on/off - Pedal depressed Etc.) The text inside the rectangular box tells you what to measure and where to measure it (or what to do). The text in the rhombus shaped box tells you what you should read. And the arrows from that box points you to the next step you should take, depending on what your reading was.

The T-shooting Tree is cumbersome, so some checklists have been made to quickly zero in on the more common problems. Use whatever you feel more comfortable with, they should all zero in on the problem.

If it is the controller, it would be a good time to fix the ills that plague the DCS.
The BGW Site Sponsors will have what you need.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bward View Post
JohnnieB, I'm at the cart now and I have 0 volts at positive side of controller B+, but I do have 38 v at pin 10 of the controller, Ive traced wires looking for a short or worn wire all looks ok.
You slipped this one in while I was typing.

Measure across B+ and B- at the battery pack. This will be your reference voltage. (38.6V ??)
Leave your voltmeter - lead attached to B-
You should have slightly less than the reference voltage at B+ on the controller.
If not, the cable coming from the battery to the battery side of the solenoid or the resistor across the main terminals of the solenoid or the cable from the controller side of the solenoid to the controller, is open.

Until this is corrected, any other reading is meaningless.

Also, I'm looking at the wiring diagram on Page E-17 of the service manual downloaded from the Stickies here on this site, and I don't see a pin 10 listed on the 1206 controller.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Printing manual now, thats where I printed my other material from, guess I didn't see that one, will print it and head back out to see what it may be.
Thanks again JohnnieB
Brian
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

My head isn't on straight. I'm looking at the wrong schematic, manual and t-shooting tree.

The DCS schematic is in the top sticky.

Disregard what I've said.

My apologies if I've sent you on a wild goose chase.

Let me back-up and regroup.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My txt is a dcs, sepex, all stock as far as I know. Now the page im looking at E-5 is a tree for the 1206 controller, my controller is a Curtis PMC P/N 73144G01
S/N 98252-P326514

Last edited by bward; 08-18-2011 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Old 08-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
bward
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My txt is a dcs, sepex, all stock as far as I know. Now the page im looking at E-5 is a tree for the 1206 controller, my controller is a Curtis PMC P/N 73144G01
S/N 98252-P326514
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO