lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #1
OU812ic
Not Yet Wild

Default 36v Club Car charger will not shut off

Kinda new to the forum, but not to carts. Been lurking here for some answers... I picked up an '85 36v CC that is in pretty good shape with 1 yr. old Exide's. All battery's check out seperately at 6.6v - 6.8v ( charged), & the pack holds at high 37's to low 38's (volts) for the last 10 days. I have an "AccuPower" CC charger that will not shut off. Within 4-6 hrs., the charge seems complete, but the needle all but bottems out as it should, but will not shut down. I have cleaned and lubed every connection, upgraded all cables & lugs to 4 guage, checked every cell individually, ....... everything I could think to do & have done with all my carts, and still will not shut it self down. I will say that this is the first "Accupower" charger I've owned.
What am I missing ???
any suggestions would be appreciated
OU812ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 36v Club Car charger will not shut off

Does the charger shut off when you unplug the charger from the cart?

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
OU812ic
Not Yet Wild

Actually, I can't answer that. I've always unplugged the charger from the wall, then the charger from the cart...
I was always under the impression that it went as follows - plug charger into cart, then to power outlet, and then, unplug power outlet first, then unplug cart.
Would what you are asking, mean that if the charger was still trickleing at near 0, and I were to unplug it, (from the wall outlet) would the charger still be buzzing ?
Did what I say make ANY sense ?
(I think i understand me...)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
OU812ic
Not Yet Wild

ok, just for sheets & grins, I walked out & plugged the charger into a wall socket without it being plugged into the cart, and it came on. I dont think it should have. Right ?
I thought it had to recognize so many volts for it to make the infamous click to start the charging process. Would this mean I'm having charger issues?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:08 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes. Charger issue. Relay has either been bypassed in the charger or it’s faulty. It could also be the control board in the charger. Those are hard to find for the Accu Power, unfortunately.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:21 PM   #6
OU812ic
Not Yet Wild

Hmmmm... is it safe to use this without catastrophe as long as I shut it off manually ?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just don’t overcharge those batteries. It should get up around 45v. I personally would not use it.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #8
HaulnA$$
Getting Wild
Club Car

I just happen to have a 36V Accupower charger I don’t need any more. I just converted my 36V cart to 48V. Charger worked fine for me and I just replaced the AC power cord before my conversion. Let me know.
HaulnA$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
OU812ic
Not Yet Wild

Crap. Kinda dont have a choice right now. I have been using it manually and just letting them charge to about 38 volts then unplugging it.
And thanks for the offer Hauln, but getting one from Texas to Ohio, geez I hate to even speculate what that would cost
Old 08-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

The charger getting to 38 volts isn’t finishing your charge cycle. I’d open up the charger and see if there’s something obvious. Someone could’ve jumped the relay to charge a dead pack. You never know till you look...[emoji106][emoji2532]

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car