lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Unusual light behavior after adding ultimate upgrade kit to '12 precedent

Hello! First post here and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I'm seeing the correct behavior of this light kit. I bought a used cart recently and have been doing a little re-hab and updating since getting it. The cart is a 2012 CC Precedent. It already had a madjax LED light kit installed with the tail lights/bucket harness. I purchased the ultimate upgrade kit in order to add turn signals, horn, and brake lights (in order to come into compliance with the county regs for using the cart).

Since the cart already had a madjax kit on it, the install seemed to go pretty easy. Mostly plug and play really. Followed the directions, attached the new harness to the existing light kit harness. Swapped out the rocker switch for the new one, connected the purple wire to the brown wire. added a jumper wire to connect the two "larger female spade connectors" per the instructions (I think they were both shades of blue). plugged in the brake pad to the existing bullet connectors from the bucket harness below the floor board.

Almost everything seems to work properly. rocker switch activates the hazards, turn signals work, horn works, and switching the lights on from the turn signal assembly works fine.

Here's the weird part, and I'm trying to determine if this is normal: when the brake pedal is depressed, the brake lights get brighter as expected. However, whenever the brake pedal is depressed, the bottom row of LED lights light up on the headlight also. I'm assuming this is possibly a daytime running light of some sort. its the same strip of lights the light up with the orange blinkers if you turn on the hazard lights (as opposed to the whole headlight being on). Has anyone seen this before? Is that normal behavior for this light kit? If the front headlights are on when the brake is depressed, there is no visible change in headlight.

Also, the rocker switch has an LED light on it that does not seem to light up when the switch is on, despite the fact that it activates the hazard lights when flipped. The previous rocker switch was for switching the lights on/off and that LED would light up in the switch when the lights were on.

Sorry for the long winded post! I'm new to carts so I don't have a point of reference yet as to whether or not this is behaving correctly.

edit: one other item I thought I'd mention that I noticed... the light kit is getting 16v since there's no reducer installed that I can find. It's a 6 8v battery setup with the light kit being powered by the last 2 batteries. I checked a number of carts in our area and that seems to be the way the local dealer installs them. I'm planning to get a 48v -> 12v reducer soon and wire everything up properly through a fuse box.
aft_cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Cynikal.Mindset
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Unusual light behavior after adding ultimate upgrade kit to '12 precedent

You have the daytime running lights wired to the brake light circuit. If you look on the headlamp there is 1 separate wire with a sticker on it “Madjax” that’s supposed to be wired to switched on voltage from your reducer you don’t have or leave disconnected or you can wire it to your headlight circuit so that bottom row comes on with the whole lamp when you turn the lights on.

The switch should light up when light kit is on if it’s wired correctly. Copper terminal is ground so if that’s right, swap the other to leads around.
Cynikal.Mindset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Unusual light behavior after adding ultimate upgrade kit to '12 precedent

I tested the rocker switch further this morning. Everything is connected according to the directions. I double checked the connections with a multimeter and the load/supply/earth connections are right. I swapped out the rocker switch with the one that came with the light kit and the LED on that one lights up when the switch is on, so I'm guessing I just got a switch with a bad LED in it. The functionality of the front light when using the brake is the same with both switches installed.

As for the headlight wire you're referring to... I'm assuming you're talking about the one from step 4 of this manual?
EDIT: it won't let me post links. If you google the madjax manuals page and look at the manual for : 02-032_LED-Light-Bar_CC-Precedent_Manual.pdf you'll see what I'm referring to

It's connected to itself by default, which I believe is so that it turns on with the headlight. I don't want to run DRL on the cart, so would prefer they are only on when the headlights are on. I tested the brake while that was plugged in and disconnected. Even while disconnected the bottom row of LEDs will illuminate when the brake is depressed.

Any suggestions on where else to look? There aren't many places to make connections when adding this kit. The 9-pin connector from the upgrade kit only connects to the existing madjax light kit one way. The only other connections that you make are the rocker switch, a jumper connecting 2 cables from the original light kit, and wire from the old light kit to the new harness, and the brake pads to the 2 wires from the bucket harness. That connection had 1 male and 1 female connector so there was no way to get them backwards (unless they're backwards from the factory).
Old 09-03-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are missing a relay I th8nk and the daytime running lights are somehow drawing voltage from the brake switch etc.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #5
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Instead of a DRL could it be that they are supposed to be wired as high beam/low beams?
WalterM6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

I don't think its meant to have a high beam/low beam functionality. The madjax installation documentation has a section that describes what to do if you want DRL functionality, but that's not a function we planned to add. Plus, the way it's wired right now should not have any DRL functions and should just have the headlight coming on when the switch is on.

I've been messing with it on and off all day today, the behavior is a mystery at the moment. If it is somehow crossed with the brake relay, it seems like it has to be a mistake with the madjax harness and that came pre-configured a certain way and can only plug into the other madjax parts in one orientation.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:03 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is normally caused by power being back-feed into the "marker lights" from the brake light/turn signal circuit.

When You apply +12v power to the brake lights, the tail light circuit back-feeds the "dimmer marker lights" which is connected to the headlights.

The solution is to add a diode on the +12v brown wire feeding each of the tails lights "marker lights", with the cathode pointing towards the tail light assembly.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

If your light switch is off and the front lights come on during the depression of the brakes (DTR lights or otherwise) your front lights are drawing voltage off of the switch circuit somehow. I would also encourage making sure the system is grounded properly.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
JustinB.Nivel
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Sergio is right, you need to wire in a diode.

Last edited by lockman1; 09-09-2018 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: removed non site supporting seller email
JustinB.Nivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
aft_cart
Not Yet Wild

Update on my progress. It's sort of fixed!

Added the diode to the brown +12v line feeding the tail light assembly. It solves the problem with the front light strip lighting up when brakes are depressed.

However, now if i turn on a turn signal for either direction, the proper tail light illuminates brightly and blinks, but the other tail light lights up dimly and blinks also. Does this mean I need to add additional diodes to other lines feeding the tail assembly? (Is this normal for the madjax upgrade kits?)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car