lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
antatich
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 04 Club Car Battery Load Difference

Have a 2004 Club Car Precedent that I picked up as a project. Cart was 100% original. It does now have an Led light system on it with turn signals and brake lights. No other electronics.

I replaced the batteries and it came with a new Clipper charger that had been un-opened. It is a 4 12volt battery setup.

The OBC computer is by-passed by running the extra ground. Currently it seems to loose charge quickly and gets down to the 42 volt when under load. Upon charging the batteries for 12 hours I am getting 13.5+ volts on each battery in the main pack. The secondary pack on the passenger side I am only getting 11.23 and 11.25. The total voltage this morning was 50.9 volts. I am unsure if I need to be charging it longer due to the type of charger. It seems to charge at 55 volts.

I am new to golf carts and am unsure of where to start inspecting or replacing. I am mechanically inclined and own an automotive shop just need some direction.

Thank you in advanced for any information.
antatich is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 04 Club Car Battery Load Difference

I am a little lost, there is no secondary pack. All 4 batteries are hooked in series and they charge the same and discharge the same (within reason that is).

Not sure of the charger you are referring to, but you should have a smart charger if you are not using your OEM Powerdrive and OBC.

12 hours is not the correct charge time, it is erroneous. The time is determined by the algorithm you had in the OBC or within a smart charger.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
antatich
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

After reading a ton on here I was hoping you would respond Nole.

The charger I have is a smart charger. https://www.amazon.com/Club-Car-Char...f+cart+charger

The batteries are hooked in series but I cannot get the passenger side batteries over 12 volts. Does this suggest bad batteries on that side? The drive side batteries will get warm to the touch after charging for an extended period of time (12 hours+). The longest I have left the smart charger on was 16 hours and it never stated a full charge. I have read about charging for 20 hours or a couple days and maybe I'm not charging long enough. Most likely I'm over complicating but I thought even after 12 hours of charge they should be similar voltage and not a difference of 2+ volts.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You don't have the wires from the charger receptacle connected to the proper batteries.

The positive and the negative wires from charger receptacle need to be connected to the only battery posts not connected to another battery.

Edit: This picture should help, battery #1 positive post is pack positive and battery #4 negative post is pack negative.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Precedent_12v_Battery_Positition.JPG (80.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Sergio; 10-08-2018 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Added Picture.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That's only a 5 Amp charger. Those are practically useless. At 55V you're barely getting a surface charge. You need a REAL smart charger that will get the pack to around 65V during charging.
A Yewy or a DPI are great options.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by antatich View Post
After reading a ton on here I was hoping you would respond Nole.

The charger I have is a smart charger. https://www.amazon.com/Club-Car-Char...f+cart+charger-snip-
Sorry, busy day today and just getting back to my PC. Looking at the charger you have it is too low to sustain a pack the size of yours. They are typically 15-20 amp chargers and are needed to support your demand. Here is a quote from the specs on your charger "Trickle charging lead acid batteries will prolong your battery life and runs super quietly and cool."

Now this does seem to be the prevailing factor on why your first 2 batteries are getting a good charge and the last 2 are not. Check the battery charger connections at the Main Pack Positive and the Main Pack Negative as mentioned above and also inspect each series (jumper) cable to see if one has become loose, broken connection, corroded or anything else to show the differential culprit. If all that checks out good, then after the charger is plugged in and running, take the readings on all 4 batteries individually and then again 1 hour later and lets see if they have all changed.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
antatich
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Checked everything out and have the wires running correct. I did run the bypass wire from the negative (black wire) at the plug to back negative on the driver side rear battery. The batteries do come up on charge after an hour but not much on the passenger ones. I did order a 15 amp charger to see if that makes a difference.

The only other thought is if I ran the bypass to the wrong battery or if the bypass should not remain connected at all times.

They do see as though the charger just cannot get them up enough or doesn't have enough juice. Hopefully the new charger works.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Checked everything out and have the wires running correct. I did run the bypass wire from the negative (black wire) at the plug to back negative on the driver side rear battery. The batteries do come up on charge after an hour but not much on the passenger ones. I did order a 15 amp charger to see if that makes a difference. I hope the charger was a smart charger or for "Non OBC".

The only other thought is if I ran the bypass to the wrong battery or if the bypass should not remain connected at all times. The bypass should run to the main pack negative, which is the Neg (-) post the with the cable that runs to the back of your cart. It will not have a jumper (series) cable on that post. And yes, that is a permanent connection as you use it to complete your charging circuit. (Pretend that is the black alligator clamp you would hook up on your garage charger.)

They do see as though the charger just cannot get them up enough or doesn't have enough juice. Hopefully the new charger works. If you did not move the black cable and it was in the right place, and the red wire from the charge receptacle is running to the main pack positive, then everything in regards to the charge circuit is correct. You just do not have enough amperage to support the demand of the pack...

Thanks for the help!
See above...
Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
antatich
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yes the charger is a smart charger. It is a Schauer charger model #JAC1548cc.

And just to be clear hook it to the last negative battery post that then the cable runs to the wire controller for the cart. (I'm obviously not that smart & want to make 100% sure).
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #10
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Yes the charger is a smart charger. It is a Schauer charger model #JAC1548cc.

And just to be clear hook it to the last negative battery post that then the cable runs to the wire controller for the cart. (I'm obviously not that smart & want to make 100% sure).
"An ounce of Prevention is worth a Pound of cure!" So you ask anything you need....

And that sounds correct. It will be on the post the the single 6g cable that runs to the back of the cart and terminates at the Controller B-.

And we could have saved you some money on a SOTA smart charger here with our sponsors, but I looked at yours and it is correct for your needs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car