lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 2010 EZGO PDS - Freedom Chip w/ 6" lift???

Anyone have a freedom chip in their cart w/ 6" lift & larger tires?
I'm not sure what size tires I have. I'll have to look when I get home, but I know I have the 6" lift.
Whats the cons to getting the freedom chip? Or should I??
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2010 EZGO PDS - Freedom Chip w/ 6" lift???

I have a 5" lift with 23" tires. I like the regen braking of the mild hill mode, but recently switched to freedom speed mode and don't miss the braking as much as I thought I would. Speed jumped from about 18.5 to 22-23 mph. The cart still handles well at those speeds and feels stable. My next step will be to modify the freedom chip to be switchable between freedom mode and mild hill.
720Deere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

So whats the chances of frying the controller or other components using the freedom chip and that setup?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
So whats the chances of frying the controller or other components using the freedom chip and that setup?
Somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but the freedom chip only increases the allowed maximum motor rpm. The only adverse affects that I know of would be reduced battery discharge time.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Larger tires and loads will draw more current. Very likely that the draw is more than the stock controller rating. May work for a while or a long while but I'd venture controller and/or motor failure at some unsuspecting point when you are furthest point away from home port.

On the bright side, you will then have an undeniable reason to upgrade to the proper controller/motor combination for the application. Of course, budget notwithstanding....

Good luck.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies... I got my freedom chip in today.
I think this will only be used when It's me and my daughter riding around. I'll have to make time to swap it out when I carry passengers.

I haven't tested it out on the road yet, so not sure if it will make a difference just yet.
I did run the diags and got 4 beeps.

We shall see!

By the way, whats typical for life of 6v batteries?
Old 10-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Larger tires and loads will draw more current. Very likely that the draw is more than the stock controller rating. May work for a while or a long while but I'd venture controller and/or motor failure at some unsuspecting point when you are furthest point away from home port.

On the bright side, you will then have an undeniable reason to upgrade to the proper controller/motor combination for the application. Of course, budget notwithstanding....

Good luck.
Large tires will ultimately have that effect on the controller and possibly motor, but the Freedom chip isn't going to change that one way or the other. The chip doesn't increase available voltage/current draw in the controller or motor, it simply allows the motor to run a higher maximum rpm.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Scooter B
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
Large tires will ultimately have that effect on the controller and possibly motor, but the Freedom chip isn't going to change that one way or the other. The chip doesn't increase available voltage/current draw in the controller or motor, it simply allows the motor to run a higher maximum rpm.
I'll agree w 720Deere on this one, the chip will not effect when or if your controller will go out. Some guys here have run big tires on a stock PDS controller with no problems, others have fried controllers in a matter of days, depends on driving style, terrain, etc.

I'll repeat what I was told by a wise member here: "It's not if your stock PDS controller will go out from running large wheels/tires....it when"

You can expect 4 good years from a good set of batteries if you take care of them. My Trojans are 5 yrs old with about a million rounds of golf on them prior to me buying the cart. Still doing ok, but do not hold as much of a charge as they once did. I have heard some people getting well over that, but it is rare.
Scooter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I put the freedom chip in and it sure makes a difference. Now all my neighbors heads are turning and I fly by...
But it sure doesn't feel all the safe going that fast, sitting up that high, bouncing tires and the play in the steering wheel.
Oh well, I may not leave it in much, but had to try it.

Thanks for the comments on the controller and batteries. Learning all the time.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
720Deere
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Do a search on switchable PDS chips. You can add a toggle to the Freedom chip so you can switch between modes without removing the controller cover.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO