lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Default 01 EZ GO Electric barely moves.

Hello all,

My 01 (Model no F 101) EZ GO electric decided to go into barely moves/ just shudder mode the other day. Batteries are fully charged, between 6.2 and 6.3 on all 6, and they are 4 year old Interstates that have been working fine.

When put in forward or reverse and the go pedal depressed, I just feel a slight shudder, but no movement.

When I do the same with the rear on jack stands, the wheels spin fine, and I get something like 30 volts at the solenoid and 24 and 27 at two of the posts on the controller and zero at the third. Should I be getting voltage at all three of the posts?

The solenoid looks brand new ( as does everything that is under that cover ) and I get something like 37+ volts on both sides (due to a resistor across the main posts).

I seem to have enough power to spin the wheels when there is no resistance but once there is a load ( back on the ground ) I get the no movement shuddering.

I did check the lube level in the rear pumplin and did get some out when I removed the plug.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tom
Off Road SHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
hvywt77
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 01 EZ GO Electric barely moves.

I am having similar issues on my 93 marathon txt. i have good connections, good batts...
anyone have any ideas?
hvywt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road SHO View Post
Hello all,

My 01 (Model no F 101) EZ GO electric decided to go into barely moves/ just shudder mode the other day. Batteries are fully charged, between 6.2 and 6.3 on all 6, and they are 4 year old Interstates that have been working fine.

When put in forward or reverse and the go pedal depressed, I just feel a slight shudder, but no movement.

When I do the same with the rear on jack stands, the wheels spin fine, and I get something like 30 volts at the solenoid and 24 and 27 at two of the posts on the controller and zero at the third. Should I be getting voltage at all three of the posts?

The solenoid looks brand new ( as does everything that is under that cover ) and I get something like 37+ volts on both sides (due to a resistor across the main posts).

I seem to have enough power to spin the wheels when there is no resistance but once there is a load ( back on the ground ) I get the no movement shuddering.

I did check the lube level in the rear pumplin and did get some out when I removed the plug.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvywt77 View Post
I am having similar issues on my 93 marathon txt. i have good connections, good batts...
anyone have any ideas?
I know y'all said your batteries were fine but 6.2v-6.3v is just over 70% to under 90% fully charged. You should get a discharge test done on your batteries. Sometimes batteries can show just fine on voltage but when a load is applied they drop off significantly. Your symptoms sound like this or something similar.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
TDOG
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You should check your drive hub. I have seen cars with damaged hubs do fine on Jack Stands but not move under a load.
TDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

I will try and find my hydrometer and do a better test on the batteries.

Where is the drive hub? Inside the rear differential?

Tom
Old 05-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Okay, here are my hydrometer readings after a top off with water, a charging and letting the batteries set for 2.5 hrs. Starting at the battery whose positive terminal is connected to the Solenoid with the corresponding voltage after the charging

12.600 6.52

12.700 6.53

12.750 6.53

12.600 6.48

12.750 6.51

12.500 6.50

Maybe I should have turned on the headlights for a while to drain the surface charge off a little better, eh?

My hydrometer only reads to hundredths, I added the extra decimal place because I read in the online manual that the specific gravity readings should be within 50 thousandths of each other within the same battery. With that criteria, only two of my batteries pass.

Any ideas on these readings?

Tom
Old 05-19-2010, 09:31 AM   #7
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

Anybody?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Is the SG data temp corrected? Connect a meter to the pack and then drive it and monitor voltage drop off when applying load. I still think you need to get a discharge test done. A discharge test leaves no doubt. If you have a 6v charger, charge each battery individually or use a 12v charger and charge in pairs. It will help to balance the pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This may be enough of a load test to tell the tale right here?

Quote[When I do the same with the rear on jack stands, the wheels spin fine, and I get something like 30 volts at the solenoid and 24 and 27 at two of the posts on the controller and zero at the third. Should I be getting voltage at all three of the posts?] end quote

Can you tape the voltmeter leads to the battery pack and try to drive what is the voltage before and during the drive test?
Sounds like one or more batteries dropping out under load as PG said
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
Off Road SHO
Not Yet Wild

It wont even move a foot under it's own power. I'll try charging the batteries individually.

Thanks.

Tom

Edit, ScottyB, who is the little guy with the goggles? He looks like he's ready to ride.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO