lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
lrizzo2001
Not Yet Wild

Default new HD rear leaf spring sag?

2014 Club Car Precedent with 6" lift. I didn't replace the rear springs at first, but then realized I had to, so I purchased a 4 leaf heavy duty leaf spring for the rear. after a few days of driving I noticed the rear passenger side is sagging. Upon looking underneath I can clearly see both leaf springs are sagging with no load. I do have the rear flip seats which I know add about 150-200 lbs, but the back right is sagging with nobody on the cart or rear seats. Upon inspection I discovered that the piece the rear of the leaf springs mount onto are laying straight out towards the back, whereas the driver side has a downward angle towards the back, this is clearly what's causing the drop on the right side which is about 2" lower than the left. I made sure the leaf springs are installed correctly, with the longer side going towards the front. The lift blocks that sit on the axle are not angled like others I've seen, and if I try to angle them towards the front when installing the springs, they will slowly roll straight up as I lower the cart to line up the center bolt on the springs to the hole in the top of the lift block. A friend told me he had a similar issue and it was the Spacer Rail Shackle that was loose where it connects to the frame, but I've inspected this shackle and it seems fine, When I lift the cart the 2 swiveling ears that connect the leafspring to the shackle will lay correctly, angled downward and back like the drivers side. as soon as I lower it, it will straighten more as if the leaf spring was longer than the other, but that is not the case. I'm stumped. I'm getting mixed feedback on whether or not it's normal for the leaf springs to sag down at all with. Others are telling me that the springs should not be sagging and holding their shape for the most part. Both springs are sagging with no load other than the rear seat, and the springs are rated for 250lbs each for a total of 500lbs
lrizzo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Default Re: new HD rear leaf spring sag?

That is surely not right.
I've never seen a 4 leaf spring that's rated for 250lbs.
4 leafs are rated at around 1500lbs.
If you have 250 lbs springs they are too light duty and will barely support the weight of the cart empty, no batteries, add 500lbs of batteries and you have exceeded to capicity of 500 lbs pair of springs.
Post link to your springs please.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
lrizzo2001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddog View Post
That is surely not right.
I've never seen a 4 leaf spring that's rated for 250lbs.
4 leafs are rated at around 1500lbs.
If you have 250 lbs springs they are too light duty and will barely support the weight of the cart empty, no batteries, add 500lbs of batteries and you have exceeded to capicity of 500 lbs pair of springs.
Post link to your springs please.
got them on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-04-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
lrizzo2001
Not Yet Wild

according to Golf Cart King, they should be rated to increase the stock springs by 400lbs, still doesn't make sense to me. waiting to hear back from there. my concern is why the connection to the shackle is sitting so far back.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

We have had this same thing before on this site. Seems the guy made some different shackles like a Z shape or something.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...precedent.html

This is one thread
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
lrizzo2001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
We have had this same thing before on this site. Seems the guy made some different shackles like a Z shape or something.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...precedent.html

This is one thread
I read through that thread, the OP never found the solution. but we are both having the same exact issue. I'm going to put my original springs back on again and see if it does the same thing, it's only a 2 leaf spring and I never had any issues before lifting the cart. It always had the rear flip seats so it's not like the cart suddenly got heavier by lifting it. The front did, but not the rear.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #7
Htownblue
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is your axle centered properly? And are the springs reversed perhaps? The long side goes towards the front If I recall correctly.

If you were to have reversed the springs where the shorter ends are improper, your leverage changes dramatically at the shackle.
Htownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
lrizzo2001
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownblue View Post
Is your axle centered properly? And are the springs reversed perhaps? The long side goes towards the front If I recall correctly.

If you were to have reversed the springs where the shorter ends are improper, your leverage changes dramatically at the shackle.

Springs are installed correctly, long side forward, if they were reversed the entire back axle would be on a slant and the tire would rub the fender when re-installed.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Something is wrong with those springs. Even with the wrong shackles, a 4 leaf spring should never completely flatten out with a reasonable load.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Muddog
Crazy Wild

Club Car

Looking at the pic on amazon, those springs look almost flat, very little arch.
There's something wrong with those springs, send em back.
Muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car