lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Smile Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

Just curious if anyone actually when through the entire process to make and get their cart officially approved street legal in Florida, license plate, insurance, etc. Do you have any pictures of what you’ve done as well? We’re just deciding if it’s worth it since most of our use is in RV parks and campgrounds and any help would be appreciated.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
mountainman007
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

Im In Texas If You Drive It On The Street You Have To Do All The Above If You Stay In The Park Its Not Necessary I Have Mine Is Street Legal Insurance Is Cheap
mountainman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Extractor
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Just curious if anyone actually when through the entire process to make and get their cart officially approved street legal in Florida, license plate, insurance, etc. Do you have any pictures of what you’ve done as well? We’re just deciding if it’s worth it since most of our use is in RV parks and campgrounds and any help would be appreciated.

Bump.

I am in the same position. I really want to get it street legal but trying to overcome some obstacles first. One person said the windshield had to be stamped with some rating (AS5??) and another said just bring proof that it's Lexan. Everything else seemed straight forward...
Here's some of what I've found:
Basically what the state is doing is registering it as an ?Assembled from Parts? NEV.

1. Cart must be electric.
2. Must be capable of minimum 20 MPH with a maximum of 25 MPH.
3. Must have LEXAN windshield.
4. Windshield wiper (electric or hand operated).
5. Seat belts.
6. Rear view mirror (outside left) and either one center inside or one right side.
7. Red reflector on rear and each side as close to the rear as possible. (At least 24 inches from ground).
8. Headlights
9. Taillights
10. Brake lights.
11. Turn signals.
12. Horn.

Keep all receipts for your upgrades. You will need a receipt (Bill of Sale) for the cart plus a Certificate of Manufacture. You will also need a weight slip. (Load cart on trailer and drag it to a state weigh station. They will weigh it and give you a slip of paper.) With all of this you?ll need to go to the DMV and fill out some forms. You leave all the paper work. They will then make an appointment for you to bring the cart in for inspection. After the inspection, they collect any taxes that are due. They will issue a title. Drag the cart home. Call your insurance company to get insurance. Be sure they understand that it is a Low Speed Vehicle and will be operated on public streets. My company would not insure it so I called an agent with Progressive. Full insurance on a 2006 Ez-Go was $255 per year.

With the title and insurance card go to the county courthouse for the tag.
Extractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

trying to post a picture of this word document..hope it works
This is a recently made available package...try the sponsors to get it if you guys are interested.
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
TRAP4KAT
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Exclamation Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

hey I check into it in louisiana, they asked if it has a VIN number like a car. You may want to see if that applies in FLA. As for insurance, I have mine fully insured and they did not inquire about whether is was street legal or used on the street. They just snap a few photos. Better to be insured these days, especially if you let others drive it, or if you drive others...

Just my 2 cents.
TRAP4KAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:51 AM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I have ALL of the official paper work from the DMV and have attached a PDF file with the carts requirements in making it an LSV, (just one of MANY forms.) And since they don’t have a 17 digit serial number the state will supposedly issue once since you’re going to also apply for it by filling out the salvage forms as well, (Rebuilder Application Form showing all parts and receipts.) There are many other steps involved such as inspection, getting the cart weighed, etc. What I’d like to know is who actually took this from Point A to Point B and got their cart approved along with getting a 17 digit VIN sticker, a title and then applied and received their tag, any tips they can suggest in the filling of the forms and was it worth it in the end.

http://www.tk411.com/pdf/LSV.pdf

Thanks again

Oxfordlawn, thanks for that link as well since you'll need both the windshield as well as that wiper!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Thanks for the info and attatchment Scuba
Definately stored that one away on the computer for later use
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
snoop911
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extractor View Post
Bump.

I am in the same position. I really want to get it street legal but trying to overcome some obstacles first. One person said the windshield had to be stamped with some rating (AS5??) and another said just bring proof that it's Lexan. Everything else seemed straight forward...
Here's some of what I've found:
Basically what the state is doing is registering it as an ?Assembled from Parts? NEV.

1. Cart must be electric.
2. Must be capable of minimum 20 MPH with a maximum of 25 MPH.
3. Must have LEXAN windshield.
4. Windshield wiper (electric or hand operated).
5. Seat belts.
6. Rear view mirror (outside left) and either one center inside or one right side.
7. Red reflector on rear and each side as close to the rear as possible. (At least 24 inches from ground).
8. Headlights
9. Taillights
10. Brake lights.
11. Turn signals.
12. Horn.

Keep all receipts for your upgrades. You will need a receipt (Bill of Sale) for the cart plus a Certificate of Manufacture. You will also need a weight slip. (Load cart on trailer and drag it to a state weigh station. They will weigh it and give you a slip of paper.) With all of this you?ll need to go to the DMV and fill out some forms. You leave all the paper work. They will then make an appointment for you to bring the cart in for inspection. After the inspection, they collect any taxes that are due. They will issue a title. Drag the cart home. Call your insurance company to get insurance. Be sure they understand that it is a Low Speed Vehicle and will be operated on public streets. My company would not insure it so I called an agent with Progressive. Full insurance on a 2006 Ez-Go was $255 per year.

With the title and insurance card go to the county courthouse for the tag.
you forgot the illuminated license plate holder with a white light visible from 50 feet
SMV Emblem - Slow Moving Vehicle
Certified Weight Slip
snoop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
jmagic
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i just bought a 2001 ez-go i want to make it street legal and understood all the requirements from the helpful posts. I have a bill of sale but no Certificate of Manufacture. The seller did not have one any ideas or thoughts on how to proceed
thanks j
jmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Damncheetah
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: Anyone get their cart Florida Street Legal?

You don't need a certificate that's only for brand new street legal. The bill of sale is fine.
BTW, got my insurance through Stratum, $311/6 months full coverage, which was only like $30 more over the minimum requirements. Passed the inspection, she looked at all the paperwork and corrected some mistakes I had made. $400 or so to register but whatever. Drove to Publix and got the first parking spot at the front!
Damncheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car