lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Candy paint questions

I want to make flames like I seen on a youtube video by swrnc. His are more semi ghost so I would to go a bit lighter. I really like the flames and the color. Here is a test board I did. I tried to make them the shape of the side of my golf cart body but my board was a little small but it gives you a idea. You can kind of see the white lines above and below the flames that is the wheel well and the top of the cart body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD531207.JPG (95.7 KB, 14 views)
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #22
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

what size and type of tape are you using to make the designs,flames
can be tricky.you dont want to end up with something that looks
like a bunch of noodles.a good fine line tape is 1/8 made by 3M.look
at other flame jobs,and how the colors fade from one to the next.you can draw out the designs on the cart to get a feel for the look,if you like one take pics and save the for the big day.
benitog71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:01 PM   #23
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am using 1/8 3m fineline tape. I am not planning on using a few colors for the flames. I just want one color ghost flames like in this youtube video.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #24
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

it looks like you are headed in the right direction with your test panel,
have you ever painted before??what type and brand paint are you thinking to use.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by benitog71 View Post
it looks like you are headed in the right direction with your test panel,
have you ever painted before??what type and brand paint are you thinking to use.
I have done some painting before mostly wood products. We do use a two part urethane clear for cabinets it is much like automotive clear coat so I think I can do it. I am not sure what brand of paint. It depends what I can buy locally we have a couple suppliers in town. I want to use a urethane base coat clear coat system. When you said you dont want your flames to look like a bunch of noodles. I went back and looked at my test board and some of them do look like a bunch of noodles but I am still practicing and they get better each time. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #26
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

I wasnt calling your stuff noodles but..
flames are a challenge no doubt.look at all different styles and colors,with custom work you can copy what someone else did and change it to make it your own.the finish product will be unique..I got out of paint in '99 so alot has changed with time.I always had good luck with PPG.what brands are available to you?spraying the clear is the hardest part,and it sounds like you have some spray time.keep in mind that a cab. door is like an automotive painter painting a gas door on a car.try to find some examples that have similar colors to the colors you have chosen,it will give you an idea of what yours might end up like.urethane refers to the clear an sometimes to the primer,the only 100% urethane product I know is SPIES HECKER.its German.. but my info is a bit dated..haha
you dont need to clear before you do flames,and dbc500 is just a clear base ,it is best for blend areas so you metallics dont mottle up.if you want to make your base more transparent you add dbc500
instead of over reducing your base,that way your metal flake and pearl stay suspended properly, but gives you a translucent look.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #27
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

keep in mind that it has to look right on the cart
Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #28
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

I really appreciate your help and dont worry about the noodles comment. It made me take another look and you were right. So I will look and practice some more. I want to do this right the first time. sometimes I am a little autistic (yes I spelled that right not artistic) but you are right flames are tough to get just right. I have to check on paint brands available to me yet. I know local body shops advertise the ppg paint so one of the local suppliers must carry it. I hope to get the cart sanded a bit and then do some practicing on it to see how it looks. I dont care if I spend $20 on fine line tape to get it right. Thats better than screwing up a $150+ paint job.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #29
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

you would be surprised how much you can do with pencil and paper..
one thing to keep in mind is that automotive paints dont hide flaws,they actually magnify dents and scratches so dont rush the prep
work.the darker the colors the less forgiving they are,black is the worst..and there is no such thing as perfection,if you dont like what you end up with you can always repaint it..
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Some inspiration for y'all....

gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint