lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Candy paint questions

So if you want to do true ghost flames then I would do them as Rifter said. A true ghost flame you can only see when the sun hits it that is why they are called ghost, that is done by clearing, letting it dry then scuff mask out you're flames then when you mix you're clear again you put some pearl in the clear for the flames. Some people missundrstand the meaning of ghost flames.
If you would just like some subtely different colored flames then scuff the body really good, lay down some adhesion promoter, seal it then spray you're base coat. You can then lay out you're flames and spray a different color of base. Remove the tape carefully " and this part is where you will find out if you scuffed it really well or not". Then apply you're clear.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
So if you want to do true ghost flames then I would do them as Rifter said. A true ghost flame you can only see when the sun hits it that is why they are called ghost, that is done by clearing, letting it dry then scuff mask out you're flames then when you mix you're clear again you put some pearl in the clear for the flames. Some people missundrstand the meaning of ghost flames.
If you would just like some subtely different colored flames then scuff the body really good, lay down some adhesion promoter, seal it then spray you're base coat. You can then lay out you're flames and spray a different color of base. Remove the tape carefully " and this part is where you will find out if you scuffed it really well or not". Then apply you're clear.
Thanks for the help. There is a youtube video by swrnc on how to paint ghost flames and I was going to do them that way. With a very light coat of white pearl over a blue base coat. But do you need to put a sealer on the base coat before you tape the flames with urethane paint?
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #13
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Are you asking about a sealer on top of the base or under it?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Are you asking about a sealer on top of the base or under it?
On top. On the video he talks about a dbc 500 sealer which is like a clear coat that protects the paint. Is this necessary?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #15
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That is what they call an intercoat clear but you can do the same thing with the clear that you will be using for the final coats instead of buying the intercoat clear "and yes I would do this". Remember the good scuffing and adhesion promoter because that is always key whenever you are applying tape to fresh paint.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #16
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I really appreciate your help. In this post you say seal it. Do you mean prime it or something else? Sorry to be such a pain but I want to do this right. I wont be painting for a about a month but I will post pictures when done.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #17
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Don't worry about being a pain, that is what this great site is all about getting you're questions answered.
The only reason I said seal it because I thought that was something you wanted to do under the base coat, but apparantly you were talking about sealing the base with clear then applying flames. In my opinion sealing the cart before the base is not needed unless there is already a couple coats of paint on it.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #18
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a picture of a test board I did. This is painted on wood with spray paint and the flames are just thinned white paint not pearl like I want and they are much darker than I want. This was mainly to see if I could tape the flames and make them look good. What do you think? This was my first attempt. I will be looking at more pictures and practicing more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SD531189.JPG (96.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

My plans have changed a bit and I may be painting sooner than I thought. On a youtube video I seen the guy paints ghost flames by paintng his base coat then thins a pearl paint real thin and then paint the flames. Is this a good way to do it or is it better to change the base color a little and then spray the flames?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #20
benitog71
Not Yet Wild

did you see some flames that you are trying to duplicate or do you just want the ghost flames ,ghost flames are what they are and are not seen until the light and angle are correct,and only then will you see a hint of the flames,the right colors are important to get the correct result.
when it comes to custom,you should have the picture in your head first,try different methods and colors on test panels until you get the right look,this will help with technique too.
benitog71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint