lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Candy paint questions

I have a 92 cc I want to paint this fall. I wanted to paint it a candy green or blue. My local oReillys has quarts of duplicolor paint. I was wondering.
1. Are the candy colors harder to put on and get a good finish?
2. They have a candy base coat and the candy colors. Is the base color the same for all candy colors and is the candy color like a clear coat or do you still need to clear coat?
3. Finally I wanted to do a ghost flame. Can you do this in the base color and then candy over it. If so how much contrast do you need between base color and flames so they will not be too bold or hidden?
Also they have bulldog adhesion promoter they want $17.00 a spray can for it. Is it really that expensive or can you get it cheaper somewhere else and is this good stuff?
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
revoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Candy paint questions

If you have not shot any paint before I would stay away from candy or metallic on your first attempt. The adhesion promoter I was supplied with was mixed into my primer before the primer was laid on with the gun.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I agree with Gorno, a candy application is not an easy paint to get right if you have never sprayed before. What you have is a mettalic base you spray down first typically silver or gold, you then spray on you're candy color which is basically a clear coat with a colored tint so you can see through the candy color to the mettalic below it, now the more coats of candy you put on the darker it gets so you have to make sure you coat everything evenly. You then must clear coat it so it turns out to be what they call a tri-coat or three stage paint job. The margin of error on candys is pretty small, you must make sure you're gun is in perfect working condition "no striping" and the air pressure to it doesn't fluctuate.
The flames you wanted to do is possible but it would take spraying the base first then changing that color by just a hair then shooting the flames, then candy and clear over that.
There are quite a few great mettalic colors out there that really pop whithout shooting the candy in my opinion.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys. I am a woodworker so my spraying has been mostly limited to spraying laquer on cabinets which is easier so maybe I will look for a different color. It would also be cheaper since I would only have to do a base and clear coat.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

What is the best type of paint? laquer or urethane?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Uerathane basecoat clearcoat system. The basecoat only has reducer in it and the clear has the hardener in it.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by master66 View Post
I agree with Gorno, a candy application is not an easy paint to get right if you have never sprayed before. What you have is a mettalic base you spray down first typically silver or gold, you then spray on you're candy color which is basically a clear coat with a colored tint so you can see through the candy color to the mettalic below it, now the more coats of candy you put on the darker it gets so you have to make sure you coat everything evenly. You then must clear coat it so it turns out to be what they call a tri-coat or three stage paint job. The margin of error on candys is pretty small, you must make sure you're gun is in perfect working condition "no striping" and the air pressure to it doesn't fluctuate.
The flames you wanted to do is possible but it would take spraying the base first then changing that color by just a hair then shooting the flames, then candy and clear over that.
There are quite a few great mettalic colors out there that really pop whithout shooting the candy in my opinion.
Ok you say there are great metalic colors out there but gorno says to stay away from candy and metalic. Are metalic colors hard to spray? Also I want to do a ghost flame on it. If I use the urethane do I need a sealer on the base coat before taping the flames?
Old 09-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

No, what he said was candy is NOT for beginners, and straight metallic is easier than candy. Solid colors are easier still.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #9
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

If your going to do flames I would recommend that you go ahead and do your 3 stage paint job completely. The area that you are going to flame put an extra coat of clear on, then when it cures and you scuff the clear you won't go through your base coat. Nothing is worse than sanding through a finished base coat and having to sand and base coat the whole thing again. Just a suggestion.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
revoarcher
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifter View Post
If your going to do flames I would recommend that you go ahead and do your 3 stage paint job completely. The area that you are going to flame put an extra coat of clear on, then when it cures and you scuff the clear you won't go through your base coat. Nothing is worse than sanding through a finished base coat and having to sand and base coat the whole thing again. Just a suggestion.
Sounds like good advice but I want to do ghost flames. Wouldnt they look better on the base coat under the clear or doesnt that matter much?
Nobody answered my other question. If I do the flames on the base coat. Do I need a sealer on the base coat before taping the flames?

Tags
paint
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint