lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-16-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Confused on Paint job

Your really trying to confuse me. lol I can't seem to find a way to contact him. I went back to car quest today and returned the clear coat. I figured I was using SEM paint so the guy there called SEM and made sure I had the right paint and rather then the clear coat on the shelf they recommended another one, it's coming in tomorrow. I bought the SEM primer. So today I used the adhesion spray and put on a coat of primer. I lightly sanded with 240. How much sanding do you do? I know not down to the color. And some other posts said clean before the next coat of primer. Clean it with what? The wax and degreaser spray?
glorybirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #12
freddmc
Gone Wild

The primer that I used said to sand with 400 grit. 240 seems a little coarse.You don't have to sand very much, just enough to smooth out the roughness. Bare primer feels rough and once sand it is smooth as glass.

I went to the SEM website(http://semproducts.com/images/Users/...Sealer_TDS.pdf) and they have technical sheets which tells you all about the products -sanding etc. I don't know which product you have but you can read about it there.

As far as the cleaner is concerned I don't think you do anything between coats of primer except sand. But the technical sheets will tell you that.

Once you primer and sand you should be able to tell from looking at the surface it you need to prime again. The idea is that the primer fills in all the little imperfections.

What I did was wash the surface with soap and water, then I used the cleaner/degreaser. Then I applied the adhesion promoter and primed it, sanded with 400 and used a tack cloth. I then applied 3 coats of base coat and then 2 coats of clear.

I followed the directions on the technical sheets all the way through.

BTW, what SEM primer are you using?

Fred M
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #13
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I had a blonde moment I'm using 340 sandpaper. It is SEM 39133 flexible primer surfacer. It was rough feeling when I put it on, after sanding it is very smooth. I didn't use a tack cloth. It doesn't say anything on the can about cleaning between coats I just thought about cleaning it because of all the dust. I will look at the tech sheets. Thank you
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 PM   #14
freddmc
Gone Wild

The spec sheet (http://semproducts.com/images/Users/1/TDS/FPS%20TDS.pdf) says to sand with 320-400 paper so you are OK. I don't think it will harm it by degreasing but Its generally not necessary (AFAIK)
The tack cloth will get the dust you miss and they are cheap.

I NEVER used to read the tech sheets but this time decided to and it was worthwhile.

Are you planning to color sand and polish?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #15
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I am reading because of the times of applications, I want to make sure I do the steps right. I read a little bit about the color sanding. I think that might be a little to hard for me, sounds complicated on one of the posts you were talking on. I thought people were saying that the clear coat is good enough? One of the reasons the auto store called SEM is the clear coat on the shelf they said turns a little yellow after awhile that is why we ordered another one from them.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
freddmc
Gone Wild

I have to say that the shine I got with the clear coat was the best shine I have EVER got even without polishing. About a year ago I painted the cab of my truck with Nasons Acylic Enamel (same make as the base/clear on my cart)and it isn't near as shiny.

Hope yours turns out fine.

Fred
Old 03-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I had the primer nice and smooth and have a nice coat of my red base on. The painted look does not look smooth you guys might call that orange peel look if I understood right. Should I be sanding in between coats of base? Will the clear make it look smooth?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
freddmc
Gone Wild

I would think that the base should be smooth although I'm certainly not an expert on it.When I did my base coat I was more concerned with complete even coverage.Even after I had given it two coats I could detect some striping under certain light conditions. So I gave it another coat which made it all even. To tell you the truth I didn't even examine it for orange peel. But with the striping I had I was of the opinion that ANY flaw in the base coat would be visible through the clear so that is why I gave it another coat.Perhaps some one else will chime in here.

I was of the opinion that orange peel occurs when the paint doesn't flow and can be caused by not a heavy enough coat or the wrong thinner is used for the temperature you have causing the paint to start to dry before it flows. On my cart I do have an area of orange peel and that is because I didn't apply the clear heavy enough. There is a fine line between when it is heavy enough and when it start to run. At this point is isn't bad enough for me to color sand and buff but I may change my mind down the road. Do you have any pics of the paint?

What is the temperature when you are painting?

Regards

Fred
Old 03-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #19
glorybirds
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I had to go out of town but will take pictures Sunday I was painting in a heated garage.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #20
freddmc
Gone Wild

Can someone else chime in here. I know you can sand and recoat the base coat but what about orange peel in the base?

Fred
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint