lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How do I get a "Super" Paint Job

Fred
You said something about some faint stripes, is this like tiger striping? If so then try to apply the coats in different directions, make sure you're gun is clean, tip, cap, etc, and you are holding the gun far enough away with a wide fan on it. If you did sand all the way through the primer in spots and there is a drastic difference in color it could be that but I am thinking the gun. Just some tips and hope it goes well.
master66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
freddmc
Gone Wild

No, the striping was not "tiger striping" as I wasn't using metallic. Under certain light conditions you could see wide strips(about 1 1/2 in wide). It looked to me like I hadn't applied enough paint. I was very careful in sanding so I didn't sand through the primer. I used a flat sanding block and I think perhaps these areas were sanded a little heavier than other areas. Anyway I gave it another heavy coat last night so I shall see this morning how it looks in the daylight. Hopefully its not raining outside.
freddmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #23
freddmc
Gone Wild

Here are pictures of the body after 2 coats of clear. Turned out real nice with a good shine. No orange peel. I think if there weren't dust nibs I wouldn't even color sand and polish.

So now I should sand with 2000. Then what do I polish with?

I have a 3000 rpm angle grinder-no rpm adjustment. Can I use this with a wool pad?

Any other things to watch out for or do?

Your help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1300261.jpg (87.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P1300262.jpg (74.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg P1300263.jpg (66.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1300264.jpg (74.5 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 AM   #24
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Fred
2000 grit is the right one for wet sanding, but the 3000 RPM grinder is way to much. Clear is very soft when you want to color sand and buff, when I buff new clear my buffer is probably running at about 700 RPM's, I am afraid if you try it with your buffer you will burn through the clear, in fact I can almost gaurentee you will at that speed,especially if you haven't buffed allott "not saying that you are inexperienced but I hate to see you ruin the great job you have done so far".
Just my opinion but if you want to do it anyway you might find someone who is experienced at buffing new clear "god I hate to say that because I am a do it myself guy also" . By the time you buy the pads, compound and everything you will probably be around $75.00. That's just my two cents worth though, good luck.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
freddmc
Gone Wild

What pads, compounds and "everything" do you think I will need. i.e. Mcquires?

Thanks

Fred
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
decipher
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If you have never "cut and buff" a paint job before it would let someone else do it for you. Mount all that crap to your cart so its steady and pay someone 50-100 to do it for you. It is very easy to burn through clear, take to much off and just mess what from pics looks like a nice paint job. And also being its a darker color if you don't buff correctly you will get swirl marks and hose it even more. Heck myself on a GC if you only have some dirt nibs and not much orange peel i would just leave it. It will give you more clear for future scratches etc.
decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #27
freddmc
Gone Wild

I was thinking of not colorsanding. However, when I cleared I wasn't as careful with dust etc because I thought I was going to sand. Therefore can I sand it and re-clear it?

Thanks

Fred
Old 03-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #28
master66
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could definately do that, just wets sand it with 600 grit or higher and then put 1 more coat of clear on. Don't know if you already do it but wetting the floor down wherever you are painting helps with the dust also.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #29
freddmc
Gone Wild

"Don't know if you already do it but wetting the floor down wherever you are painting helps with the dust also."
I usually am more careful(at least as careful as you can be when painting in your garage/woodshop) But I thought no need to be too careful here because I'm going to sand anyway. Dumb!

Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully!

Thanks

Fred
Old 03-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #30
freddmc
Gone Wild

So before I proceed any further with the cart body I have base coated and clear coated a test panel and will try to color sand and polish it to see what happens.
I don't want to run the whole gamut of different grits of compounds at this time (for cost reasons) but would just like to buy one type of grit and one buffing pad just to see "what happens". What would you suggest?

As I look around the net for information on color sanding/compounding it appears as though this is a very labor intensive process. Does all base coat/clear coat painting involve color sanding or is most of it just spraying on the base and clear and leaving it at that?

Thanks

Fred Mc.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint