lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #1
MemphisRebel82
Not Yet Wild

Default Restoration Shop Single Stage Question

Hello All. I am looking to repaint the body on my 1996 EZGO TXT cart. I have researched the forums, particularly the sticky thread on prepping the body for paint, and plan to follow it very closely with cleaning, repairing a few dings/scratches, adhesion promotor, and priming.

I have used my compressor and spray gun to paint some patio furniture, but that is about it. This will be my first time painting a golf cart. The cart is currently the original green paint color and I would like to keep it as close as I can. It looks like the Restoration Ship Speed Green (#1604) is pretty close so I was going to go with that, and like the idea of their single stages. I was specifically looking at this kit here: https://tcpglobal.com/collections/ac...p-ae1604-kit-q

I was wondering if anyone could provide advise on the acrylic enamel vs. acrylic urethane and which might be a better option? Also do you think the quart size would be enough for the cart or should I bump up and get the full gallon? Thanks for any help and advise.
MemphisRebel82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Restoration Shop Single Stage Question

I have used a lot of the single stage AE from Restoration Shop (TCP Global). I used the Enamel mainly for cost but I clear coated anyway even though it does not need it. I do a lot of small projects that don't sit outside in the elements but I have also painted several carts with their AE paint. The Urethane would be a more durable finish but it does cost more. I can paint a cart with a quart doing just the front and rear body. I am usually re-doing the entire cart to include the trim (roof supports, seat frames, rear seat metal etc) I do those in a complementing color though. I have also done some carts in a base/clear system that I order on-line at much better prices than you can get at your local auto paint store. I have no problem recommending the Restoration Shop AE system to you for your purposes. Hope this helps
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:50 PM   #3
fltekdiver
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Restoration Shop Single Stage Question

I just started painting my own bodies as well, and also am new to painting. I did try using a air compressor but with a 27 gallon compressor couldn't find a hvlp gun to match the compressors CFM rating., Then I switched to LVLP gun, worked great for small projects, however living in Florida, I had allot of water in the lines when spraying even with some cheaper $60 water separators inline.

I now bought a Fuji Semi Pro 2 - 2 Stage turbine to to to get dryer air.

I shot 3 golf cart roofs so far practicing on them to get the feel of the gun and adjustments

Tomorrow I have Restoration Shop Acrylic Enamel Auto Paint Kit coming in:
https://tcpglobal.com/products/rsp-ae2701-kit-q

I been using TCI Adhesion Promoter following their instructions for the roofs

This weekend I plan on shooting my first body with the Turbine, and single stage paint.

I choose Acrylic Enamel paint as from research it's less toxic to shoot and easier to work with for a beginner. I've heard acrylic urethane has more of a learning curve and harder to shoot for a beginner

The pics I attached are SEM Trim Black reduced with lacquer thinner
for the golf cart roofs. It cost me about $85 in material for everything for the roof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210105_155244.jpg (178.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_155219.jpg (426.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210105_155316.jpg (632.0 KB, 0 views)
fltekdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center > Body and Paint